SONIC VPN DOES NOT WORK

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by jerami001go » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:50 pm
BAD TIMES, OPEN VPN ovpn.sonic.net is not WORKING AGAIN

The steps that I have taken have not worked i.e. uninstalling and re-installing,rebooting, unplugging router and devices calling OPEN VPN directly, waiting patiently and paying my bill on time do not have any effect on the vpn working.

..customer service have asked Jeremy over the phone and he was of great help however...

I am still unable to connect to ovpn.sonic.net. or use the SONIC VPN while on the internet. it works great as long as I am not using it.

any suggestions???
Dec 24th 2019
by cdkeen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:28 pm
Sorry for the recent problems with our openvpn server. Please let me know if these issues continue, either by replying to this post or by emailing support@sonic.net and referencing this post so that the issue can be assigned to me. Thanks for choosing Sonic! Here is some info that I just posted in another vpn thread on our forum:
cdkeen wrote:I upgraded our openvpn server verison to the most current build on January 2nd (around 11pm) and included in the change log notes for the new version was a line that led me to believe that they have rectified the issue that was causing the PUSH_REQUEST to not get a reply back from the server. We do have monitoring in place for the server and the service that alerts our operations staff (which does have someone on call 24/7) and we have identified and improved some limitations that our monitoring had in place in an attempt to improve the service reliability.
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by ankh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:51 am
I'm puzzled about this email from "hello@openvpn.net":
It’s been a while, and we want to make sure you’ve had the opportunity to try out OpenVPN Access Server. You get two free connections for life and you can start testing today.
Huh? What? Did I click the wrong button somewhere?

I've got a home desktop Mac and an old antique iPhone both using the Sonic VPN. The VPN drops out unpredictably so I've learned to watch for the little icon on the Mac or the letters "VPN" in tiny font on the iPhone screen, to restart it when it gives up on me.
by virtualmike » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:55 pm
Probably at some point, you registered your email address with OpenVPN and you're on the mailiing list.

OpenVPN Access Server is for businesses, typically for them to provide a VPN for their employees to connect to the home office, or for ISPs to provide VPN services to their customers.

But since you're on Sonic's fiber network at home, why are you connecting to VPN? You're already on Sonic's network, so there's nothing additional to be gained by using the VPN. Conversely, there's unnecessary overhead by having each packet of your data encrypted and decrypted.
by ankh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 am
since you're on Sonic's fiber network at home, why are you connecting to VPN?
Habit because sometimes I travel with this laptop computer, or this antique iPhone, and had set the VPN up and forgotten it.

So whether I'm using Ethernet or WiFi through Sonic's router, no protection added by the VPN either way, eh?

I could have figured that out, if I'd been younger and more thoughtful. Probablyl

Thanks.
by virtualmike » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:42 pm
If you're using the Sonic router, or a router of similar or better quality, and you have the appropriate security on it, then VPN likely doesn't add any value.

When you're using Ethernet, the VPN definitely does not add any value.
by ankh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 pm
and you have the appropriate security on it
It's set up just as the Sonic installer left it, would that be appropriate security?
Pointer welcome to how to check.
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm
I don't know what settings the Sonic tech may have established, or even if it was configured before it went into the box.

Do a web search on "wifi router security tips" to see industry recommendations. If you have further questions, I'm sure Sonic support can advise on whether any specific tip would apply to your router, and/or how to make the configuration changes.
by ankh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:49 pm
I guess I can just ask the Support people "would Sonic's installer have left my Sonic rented router in the most secure setup?"

But from my past experience with similar questions, the likely reply from Support would be "that's a question you'd best ask in the Forums"

Hmmm, found my router's IP address via the Mac Network control panel, tried it with a browser, and got:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /prime-home/control-panel/login on this server.
Well, I've digressed, never mind, I'll start a fresh thread if I don't find a pertinent one already in progress.
by chalkhorse » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:05 pm
not sure wat a vpn? If i'ts what I think I won't be able use that with my job. I score papers for the schools. Can I turn it off? and still score the papers.
pam meadows

Still can not get into my sonic account.
Pam Meadows
11 posts Page 1 of 2