IPv6: deployment timeframe? beta testing?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by paulcoldren » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:59 am
Is there any information available about Sonic's plan for native IPv6 on fiber? I've heard bits and pieces about "it's coming" for several years now.

I maintain networks with Comcast, AT&T, Webpass, and a handful of smaller business ISPs that all have it. All major cell providers have it. I've been pushing hard to get it rolled out on every network I touch, and it's disappointing that all my Sonic networks (and my own house!) still don't have it.

I've on-and-off used Sonic's 6RD service, but it's a pain to keep up to date when my public IPv4 address changes, and I've found that the quality of service (jitter, etc.) makes it infeasible to use for sensitive applications (video conferencing, etc).

I need IPv6 for my work, and it's frustrating that I have it everywhere I go except my own home.

I'd love to hear about an expected timeframe for the deployment, and if there's anything I can do to speed it along (beta testing, etc).
by paulcoldren » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 pm
I did some tests this evening on Sonic's native IPv4 vs. 6RD IPv6 for residential fiber customers. The data backs up my concern that 6RD isn't a viable solution for people who need stable IPv6.

I ran a continuous ping to the same host (speedtest.sjc.sonic.net) over both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously from two terminals.

Here's 1000 ICMP echo requests over native IPv4:

Code: Select all

--- speedtest.sjc.sonic.net ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2.262/3.294/4.213/0.198 ms
And here's 1000 ICMP echo requests over 6RD IPv6:

Code: Select all

--- speedtest.sjc.sonic.net ping6 statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 5.881/17.265/442.477/36.846 ms
Note the huge jitter on the IPv6 test. In practice, this makes it unusable for sensitive interactive applications like video conferencing.

I'm really hoping there's some news about true native IPv6 soon. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help test it out.
by julianoster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 am
I agree, native IPv6 would be extremely beneficial. I would also be available for extensively beta-testing this.
by parker_day » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:26 pm
I was looking through the FAQs of a (non Sonic) service today and saw this. :|

by julianoster » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:44 am
I am sure they are working on this, so I (mostly) refrained from asking about it, as it would do nothing to accelerate it.

But I've got to admit, after such a long time without a single (as far as I am aware) update about the situation, I'm getting a bit nervous. Can we get a confirmation that native IPv6 will be available some day in the not too distant future, at least?
by RWCFiber » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 am
Dane says in the Access forum that he's optimistic about 2020 being the year we get it.
6 posts Page 1 of 1