Can't update to latest version of WordPress, PHP version isn't current?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by dwhittaker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 am
I tried updating to the latest v. of WP today and got the following message:

The weird thing is that I logged into phpMyAdmin and found no reference to PHP version 5.3.29. In fact, it clearly says it's running PHP Version 7.1.30:

I'm at a loss on what to do about this. Why would WordPress claim I'm running PHP v. 5.3.29?
by joemuller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 pm
Hi,

In short, the PHP version listed in phpMyAdmin is not the same because it's not running on the same servers that are used for our Personal/Value/Basic Hosting customers. The latest available version for your site is going to be 5.6.34, which you can use by making sure the .htaccess file in your site's hosting directory has the following:

Code: Select all

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php56
I've gone ahead and made the change for you in this case, so you should now be able to run the update from within the Wordpress admin panel and not get the PHP error.

-- Joe
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by ankh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm
by dwhittaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 am
Fantastic. Thank you Joe. Working fine now. And thanks for the info about PHP versions.

Cheers!
by randy_apinc » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Although Wordpress says I have updated to most current - it also says..

! PHP Update Required
WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP.

However, nothing has indicated what version I need to be updated to, just that 7.3 is the latest "currently 7.3"
by joemuller » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:59 am
@randy_apinc: we're working on getting PHP 7 available for hosting customers - keep an eye on the Hosting section in the forums here for updates.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by mollyf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:45 pm
Any news?
by tikvah » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am
When will this be automatic? I have I think 6 sites running Wordpress at Sonic.net and there is no way in hell I'm going to figure out how to get to the shell (can't telnet anymore and haven't done that for years anyway) and upgrade .htaccess files for every single site. AND repeat the process every few months when there's a new PHP out.
by ankh » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 pm
When will this be automatic?
Yes please! Your customers are getting older, even if your Support folks remain young and flexible.
by mollyf » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:12 pm
I don't even care if it's automatic, I am getting old waiting for a current version of PHP.
14 posts Page 1 of 2