Outbound Port 25 disabled ~4 days ago?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by somogyis » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:34 pm
Up until about 4 days ago, I was able to send traffic from my home network to port 25 on a box of mine in colo. This has been working without problem since I got service installed.

I just called tech support and was told that this never should've worked, which was briefly and grimly entertaining, but ultimately did not resolve my issue.

I asked whether the tech could tell me when the NAT box (using the SMART/RG device) last got a new DHCP lease, since that also appears to have happened within the last few days and I'm curious if there's a correlation. Unfortunately, the tooling available to tech support won't expose this info.

I can telnet/nc to port 25 from my Sonic shell account, so there doesn't appear to be a connectivity problem on the host side.

I've burnt too much of my Sunday already trying to root cause this; could anyone out there please suggest a solution to make this start working again, or a way to contact someone in Sonic netops who has tooling to answer some of my questions?

Thanks.
by thomashong » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:06 am
Oh boy. I also spent a day and half to discover this. I went through mail server, port forwarding, firewall rules, lots and lots of testing, etc. trying to figure this out. Come on Sonic. You don't offer static IPs and then this.
by somogyi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am
I'm not so bothered by the lack of static IP. There are viable workarounds. What I can't work around is something that worked for years, and that suddenly stopped working a few days ago without warning. This is a regression.

When I called tech support, after they couldn't help answer my not unreasonable questions, it was explicitly recommended to post here; there were supposed to be highly technical folks from Sonic who would be able to answer my questions watching the forums.

This is the first time that I've been genuinely disappointed in Sonic's customer response.
by joemuller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:42 pm
Have you tried sending outbound via port 587? Most email servers listen on that port as well as 25. Last I checked, that shouldn't be blocked outbound on residential connections.
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by thomashong » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:34 am
joemuller wrote:Have you tried sending outbound via port 587? Most email servers listen on that port as well as 25. Last I checked, that shouldn't be blocked outbound on residential connections.
Port 587 is for submission for CLIENTS (e.g., Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) to connect to mailservers. A mailserver can only communicate with another mailserver via port 25 per RFC. In the meantime, I am relaying through mail.sonic.net until I find an alternative solution.
5 posts Page 1 of 1