vpn: can I make it look like I'm in another country?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by royhg » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am
Or, hide the fact that I'm in the US?

For example, is there a way of modifying client.ovpn to do this, or some other method? Thx!
by dane » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 am
Not with Sonic’s VPN. We provide a tunnel into our network, and this you’ll have a Northern CA based IP address. That can be handy if you’re outside the US and need a US IP. Some have reported that it was very useful when traveling in China, for example. I’ve also heard of folks using it while in Europe to watch streaming TV from the US, to follow their home sports.

But if you want to have a wide variety of geo IPs outside the US, I know this is a service that TunnelBear offers. http://tunnelbear.com/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ivoandnix » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:09 am
Honestly, this feature seems useless without being able to configure the VPN location. Instead of paying $10 to sonic for an unconfigurable VPN, I might as well pay a VPN provider myself for better service. Will sonic ever add this feature?
by artakamoose » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:26 pm
It's not useless at all. You really should be using a VPN when you're on a public network. Also, the vast majority of VPN usage overseas is for phoning home to get the same service/content you have at home.

If you need a VPN to show your location as being somewhere else, then feel free to purchase one of the many services out there.
by rmoniz » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:39 pm
To echo what was said, it’s not useless at all. It serves its purpose very well. If you need to be anonymous for another country, then a paid VPN is what you want.
by ixo » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:21 pm
ivoandnix wrote:Honestly, this feature seems useless without being able to configure the VPN location. Instead of paying $10 to sonic for an unconfigurable VPN, I might as well pay a VPN provider myself for better service. Will sonic ever add this feature?
Are you really paying for it? I thought the Sonic VPN was included with Sonic internet service. (Seems decent for something included for free).
6 posts Page 1 of 1