Enabling Annex M on a Netgear DGN3500

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by vmbrasseur » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 am
Anyone out there have a Netgear DGN3500 modem/router? If so, have you been able to turn on Annex M on it?

My modem fu is not strong, but from my web searches I'm not finding anything about how to do this on this modem (or if it's even possible). Perhaps it's known by some other name...?

I thought to enable it on the Sonic side in the Labs then see whether the modem picked up on it automatically, but when I checked Labs in the members section I didn't see enabling of Annex M there. According to Dane this should be available now (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13).

Can anyone lend a hand?
by dane » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm
It's not in Member Tools, it's an out-of-band toggle, as your Internet access could be interrupted if for example your modem did not support Annex M. ;)

See this post for the call-in number to toggle the settings:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1095

As for the Netgear, sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular modem.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by vmbrasseur » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 am
dane wrote:It's not in Member Tools, it's an out-of-band toggle, as your Internet access could be interrupted if for example your modem did not support Annex M. ;)
Thanks, Dane. The CS rep with whom I spoke a few days ago said it had been added to Labs, but I guess he must've gotten a little mixed up. No harm done.
dane wrote:As for the Netgear, sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular modem.
Then you, my good sir, are in fine company. No one seems to know much about it or, if they do, they ain't talkin'.
by klui » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm
My understanding is there's nothing to be done on the client side for Annex M. You just need to use the Sonic method of enabling Annex M and your modem should resync after a cold boot. Just be on the phone w/ Sonic and have them revert to Annex A if it doesn't work.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1467705 suggests the DGN3500 supports Annex M according to Wendell at Netgear support. It may be beneficial to go on the Netgear website and see if you have the latest firmware or deploy newer versions that have Annex M-related fixes.
by dane » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:00 am
klui wrote:My understanding is there's nothing to be done on the client side for Annex M. You just need to use the Sonic method of enabling Annex M and your modem should resync after a cold boot. Just be on the phone w/ Sonic and have them revert to Annex A if it doesn't work.
This depends upon the modem. Some will negotiate Annex A or M, and some are set by default to only do Annex A. And finally, some will only do Annex A. It varies. (Most equipment Sonic.net has sold in the last couple years, and the equipment we now rent does support Annex M with no configuration required.)

That said, there is no need to be on the phone with support - we released a self-service tool so you can manage the Annex settings yourself! See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1095
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by klui » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm
dane wrote:That said, there is no need to be on the phone with support - we released a self-service tool so you can manage the Annex settings yourself! See: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1095
Thanks for the clarification. I readily admit I have not used the tool because I'm only on legacy ADSL1. Too bad it doesn't allow me to use Annex M because it would be nice to have more than 768 kbps upstream when I do VoIP teleconferences through VPN.

If Annex M doesn't work on a modem, does the system still allow telephone service?
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 pm
Annex M and telephone service from Sonic is only available via their Fusion product, which is available only to those customers being served directly from an AT&T Central Office (not via a Remote Terminal).

Sonic legacy ADSL1 is delivered by AT&T which also delivers voice from their switch (RT or CO).
by dane » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm
klui wrote:
dane wrote:If Annex M doesn't work on a modem, does the system still allow telephone service?
Yes, telephone service is POTS - baseband land-line phone service, and isn't dependent upon the data service in any way.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
8 posts Page 1 of 1