Beta feature: Upload/download speed priority toggle

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
45 posts Page 3 of 5
by dane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm
draggett wrote:
dane wrote:
draggett wrote: My upload/download speeds are 2976/512 so it would be good to be able to use this feature. I read that Sonic leased equipment is configured to use the toggle already. Perhaps I need to do something else?

thanks again.
Your loop was capped for stability at a 512k upstream during a support call last September. It looks like it could carry more outbound, so I've moved that up to 1Mbps. But, at your distance, I'd think this will be all we'd be able to get out of this loop while maintaining stability.
Thanks Dane. I will check it out. Does this mean I won't be able to toggle my service?

Doug
Correct - at your distance, Annex M won't likely provide a gain.

I have pushed some configuration changes for your loop - and hopefully it will remain stable, but keep an eye out for slightly greater downstream performance, about double upstream, and if it's unstable, it should optimize for stability automatically now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by zoka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am
dane wrote:
zoka wrote:I tried out this feature today. Before toggling via 611, the Sonic.net speed test reported our speeds as 5 MB down and about 1 MB up. After successfully toggling to Annex M (which our Zyzel ADSL2+ modem handled automatically), the speed test showed 3 MB down but the same ~1 MB up. Is this a function (or limit of) our modem and/or CO distance?
I took a look at your line, and the trouble here was that it was set to a 1Mbps upstream cap. I think we may have some customers who ended up with 1Mbps caps for some reason, and we'll need to go hunt those down and eliminate.

I've fixed yours (sorry about the re-sync!), and you can give it a shot again now.
Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. Another speed test shows around 2.6 MB down and 1.4 MB up. That's probably the fastest upload speed under Annex M that we can achieve given our distance.
by draggett » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am
dane wrote:
draggett wrote:
dane wrote:
Your loop was capped for stability at a 512k upstream during a support call last September. It looks like it could carry more outbound, so I've moved that up to 1Mbps. But, at your distance, I'd think this will be all we'd be able to get out of this loop while maintaining stability.
Thanks Dane. I will check it out. Does this mean I won't be able to toggle my service?

Doug
Correct - at your distance, Annex M won't likely provide a gain.

I have pushed some configuration changes for your loop - and hopefully it will remain stable, but keep an eye out for slightly greater downstream performance, about double upstream, and if it's unstable, it should optimize for stability automatically now.

Thanks again Dane. I will watch my line!
by mcnab » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 am
How can we toggle A and M if we don't have a voice line associated with our Fusion?

thanks,

Kim
by dane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am
mcnab wrote:How can we toggle A and M if we don't have a voice line associated with our Fusion?

thanks,

Kim
Good question. At this point, you cannot. Your options would be to convert to today's standard Fusion (uncapped broadband, bundled phone, $39.95), or wait for other configuration mechanisms. I anticipate that we will add Download/Upload priority settings along with current loop status to our iPhone app at some point in the future too.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by mcnab » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm
That might be good. As the current Fusion app assumes you have a voice line.
by dane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 pm
mcnab wrote:That might be good. As the current Fusion app assumes you have a voice line.
Ah, good point - so that may not really be a solution then. Those without standard Fusion Broadband+Phone service may not have access to all of today's features - we develop toward the standard product.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 pm
just a heads up, this is the reply i got from sonic when i tried to get my cap lifted via email.
Hey,

There is a cap on your line. However it is our policy to not make any service impacting changes (this would require a modem reboot) through e-mail. Please give us a call here at 707-547-3400 and we would be happy to remove the cap for you.
guess i gotta take up someones time at HQ...

BTW, cool sound when you check your status on 611!
by dane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:13 pm
Guest wrote:guess i gotta take up someones time at HQ...

BTW, cool sound when you check your status on 611!
We develop features toward today's product, so those on grandfathered configurations may not have access to all capabilities. Please consider upgrading.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm
dane wrote:
Parker wrote:Will this eventually be under member tools?
That's not a goal right now, because it is by definition an "out of band" tool - it causes a re-sync, meaning tools accessed via the web could become unreachable. For example, if a customer-supplied modem wasn't Annex M ready, they'd simply lose their connection.

Using "out of band" - something other than the web - lets them swap it back if that is the case. We do plan to add it to our App, which would allow for remote access. We assume that even if the phone loses Internet access via WiFi, they can re-gain it via their mobile carrier to re-set their connection.
Actually I'd second the request to add the Annex M switch to Member Tools as it would be useful for me, away from home.

In addition, showing the modem sync speeds and statistics in Member Tools may be quite useful to customers who cannot access their modem (eg. bridged modem behind a router). They could leave the display refreshing during any trouble periods as one way of gathering more information.
45 posts Page 3 of 5