Beta feature: Upload/download speed priority toggle

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
45 posts Page 2 of 5
by draggett » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm
Hi Dane,

I tried to use this feature today as I'm trying to backup my files to Google Drive. When I called 611 option 2 I got the message "I'm sorry, your current profile is not supported by this system." Did I miss something? I am leasing the Sonic equipment.

Thanks,

Doug
by zoka » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm
I tried out this feature today. Before toggling via 611, the Sonic.net speed test reported our speeds as 5 MB down and about 1 MB up. After successfully toggling to Annex M (which our Zyzel ADSL2+ modem handled automatically), the speed test showed 3 MB down but the same ~1 MB up. Is this a function (or limit of) our modem and/or CO distance?
by dane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm
zoka wrote:I tried out this feature today. Before toggling via 611, the Sonic.net speed test reported our speeds as 5 MB down and about 1 MB up. After successfully toggling to Annex M (which our Zyzel ADSL2+ modem handled automatically), the speed test showed 3 MB down but the same ~1 MB up. Is this a function (or limit of) our modem and/or CO distance?
I took a look at your line, and the trouble here was that it was set to a 1Mbps upstream cap. I think we may have some customers who ended up with 1Mbps caps for some reason, and we'll need to go hunt those down and eliminate.

I've fixed yours (sorry about the re-sync!), and you can give it a shot again now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:26 pm
zoka wrote:the speed test showed 3 MB down but the same ~1 MB up
You might call 611/support to uncap your upload speed. I think some other people also experienced this.
by dane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm
Guest wrote:
zoka wrote:the speed test showed 3 MB down but the same ~1 MB up
You might call 611/support to uncap your upload speed. I think some other people also experienced this.
...or just write support@sonic.net and ask if the upstream is capped at 1Mbps - they can quickly uncap it and respond. No need to wait on hold for an easy one like this!

But, we also need to just seek & destroy these old caps behind the scenes. They existed back when the product was Annex A only, and should only be an issue for customers who signed up back then.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm
Roger that! Now I just need to find my land line phone to call 611 - I may have thrown it out. My TP-Link modem doesn't give an option to disable, only a bunch of options. It's the TD-8817 and it's been acting strange. Let me know if I should get a better modem or keep playing with it. Set to bridged mode and I have static IP's set in my router. The routing protocols seemed to have effect but I'm not sure what to use for ATM, WAN, and LAN.
kgc wrote:This has been deployed and is now available as option 2 on 6-1-1. (And you shouldn't have to touch ATM QoS settings.)
by draggett » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:36 pm
draggett wrote:Hi Dane,

I tried to use this feature today as I'm trying to backup my files to Google Drive. When I called 611 option 2 I got the message "I'm sorry, your current profile is not supported by this system." Did I miss something? I am leasing the Sonic equipment.

Thanks,

Doug
My upload/download speeds are 2976/512 so it would be good to be able to use this feature. I read that Sonic leased equipment is configured to use the toggle already. Perhaps I need to do something else?

thanks again.
by dane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm
draggett wrote: My upload/download speeds are 2976/512 so it would be good to be able to use this feature. I read that Sonic leased equipment is configured to use the toggle already. Perhaps I need to do something else?

thanks again.
Your loop was capped for stability at a 512k upstream during a support call last September. It looks like it could carry more outbound, so I've moved that up to 1Mbps. But, at your distance, I'd think this will be all we'd be able to get out of this loop while maintaining stability.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:52 pm
dane wrote: But, we also need to just seek & destroy these old caps behind the scenes. They existed back when the product was Annex A only, and should only be an issue for customers who signed up back then.
Could you say more about which caps you're planning to pre-emptively remove? Some of us on longer loops
apparently need the caps, unfortunately, to avoid unstable connections. At least that's been my understanding
and experience.
by draggett » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 pm
dane wrote:
draggett wrote: My upload/download speeds are 2976/512 so it would be good to be able to use this feature. I read that Sonic leased equipment is configured to use the toggle already. Perhaps I need to do something else?

thanks again.
Your loop was capped for stability at a 512k upstream during a support call last September. It looks like it could carry more outbound, so I've moved that up to 1Mbps. But, at your distance, I'd think this will be all we'd be able to get out of this loop while maintaining stability.
Thanks Dane. I will check it out. Does this mean I won't be able to toggle my service?

Doug
45 posts Page 2 of 5