FaxLine - "Insufficient data for an image"

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by kgc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:03 pm
Several users have reported receiving this error from Adobe Acrobat when opening (some?) faxes. While other readers appear to display the contents correctly in these cases there is clearly something wrong with the contents. I have several examples of these broken pdfs and will post here when I've solved the problem.

Meanwhile, if you end up with a fax that you need and can't open with Adobe, try using Foxit or another reader in its place.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by mkld » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm
In response to Kelsey's email request to test the system, I sent two faxes to my new Sonic e-fax number.

I encountered the exact error noted in the subject line. My PDF came out with text out of place, overlapping, and fonts in wrong size and style, essentially unreadable.

I tried re-opening the "bad" file from my first test fax, and it looks better with Foxit and Nitro Pro, but the bottom quarter of the page is still distorted.

My second fax was a complete success.
by mkld » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm
BTW, I can send you the PDFs, and scans/duplicates of the originals, if you would like. Email directly, please.
by Steven Song » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 am
I got exactly the same error. The first couple of pages are fine, then there's one page Acrobat reader cannot read. Switching to Fixit it is better, but on bottom of that page there're some vertical straight lines that are not in the original documents.
by mkutner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:06 pm
I saw the same issue on two faxes received from one particular company. (I think that these faxes were originated on a conventional FAX machine.) The PDF could be displayed by Foxit Reader but visually there appears to be some kind of error at the bottom of the page. (Same problem as described above - many short vertical lines.) The PDF could not be displayed by either Acrobat Reader 9 or Acrobat Reader 10 with message "insufficient data for an image".

The pdfHarmony checker at

http://demo.appligent.com/pdfHarmonyDem ... yDemo.html

does not find anything wrong with the PDF. Faxes sent from my PC's modem are received OK.
by kgc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 am
kgc wrote:I have several examples of these broken pdfs and will post here when I've solved the problem.
It looks like the problem was being caused by a bug in hocr2pdf, one of the exactimage tools. When it combined certain tiffs with the OCR markup the resulting pdfs were corrupted when displayed. I disabled OCR support pending a fix for hocr2pdf.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
6 posts Page 1 of 1