old Usenet

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 pm
Caps are about maximizing revenue and protecting a subscription TV business segment, not about addressing costs or congestion. There was a recent article on DSLReports that quoted a Bell CA rep saying as much. (sorry, not finding it right now to link to.)

We don't have a subscription TV business to protect, so we don't see caps making sense.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike2 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 am
Having spent many years in the online biz, I certainly understand the need for a company to focus its resources where they get the most "bang for the buck," as well as staying current and relevant. (I've seen what happens to companies that don't.)

That being said, I would prefer to work with Usenet for reading and replying to messages for one reason: my time. With Usenet, I have a client that does all the online work for me, putting the messages on my local machine, allowing me to read and write asynchronously, with no latency between messages.

With a web forum, I have to use the mouse to click on links, then wait while the page is fetched and rendered before I can start reading. When I want to reply, I click a link, then wait for another page to be fetched and rendered with a message box for typing my response; when I'm done typing, I click again, and I have to wait until the host has received and processed the response before I can continue.

Using a local client on my machine allows me to avoid the mouse, working solely with the keyboard, which is faster. The client fetches the message threads for me, and I can navigate between messages as fast as I can press keys. If I want to reply to a message, one keystroke opens the reply form immediately, and when I'm done editing, another keystroke sends the message in the background while read the next message. Also, if there's a message that I want to save for the future, one keystroke will flag it to be retained on my machine (with the web interface, I have to save to PDF or some other format).

I realize I'm not a typical user, and I've accepted that I have to adapt. And I have found some ways that *I* can multitask with multiple tabs to mitigate the latency. However, it would be nice if I could have the computer do that work for me. :?
by gp1628 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:18 am
dane wrote: We don't have a subscription TV business to protect
Not yet? :twisted:
by bobrk » Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 am
dane wrote:We don't have a subscription TV business to protect, so we don't see caps making sense.
Just curious about how much Netflix you're seeing through your network now.
by dane » Fri May 20, 2011 1:33 pm
I don't have a stat, but I know it's growing a lot!!

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by msako » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm
What is sonic.net's status with respect to the tier 1 and 2 networks? Are you paying settlements for transit with any of the tier 1's and tier 2's?

Disclaimer: I used to work for Equinix in the SNE group ten years ago when it was still private.
by dane » Fri May 20, 2011 2:33 pm
msako wrote:What is sonic.net's status with respect to the tier 1 and 2 networks? Are you paying settlements for transit with any of the tier 1's and tier 2's?

Disclaimer: I used to work for Equinix in the SNE group ten years ago when it was still private.
We buy transit from various Tier-1 carriers, and also peer with lots of content folks. For example, we peer with Google & YouTube, Netflix, Yahoo, etc. If memory serves, we've got a 10G peering link at Equinix SJ.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
17 posts Page 2 of 2