WireGuard: A very strong candidate to replace OpenVPN and IPSec VPNs

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
21 posts Page 2 of 3
by soniclvr » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:29 am
Any chance Sonic will implement wireguard in their VPN endpoint? The speed gains from wireguard are so brutal (wire speed essentially) vs OpenVPN that it would be well worth the effort.
by mediahound » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:29 am
I agree. Wire guard is indeed the new VPN standard.
by mediahound » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:03 pm
mediahound wrote:I agree. Wire guard is indeed the new VPN standard.
Note, on computers the speeds are about the same in my testing. But for mobile, the Wireguard protocol is really nice. It does not drain your battery like the OpenVPN protocol and Wireguard also has a seamless transition between wifi and LTE.

I actually bought a third-party non-Sonic VPN service mainly just for the mobile aspect after testing it for a month because it was so good on mobile over OpenVPN.

So yes, I would love to have the Wireguard protocol on Sonic's VPN!
by forest » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 pm
Looks like WireGuardNT is coming, which should elevate WireGuard performance on Windows closer to what routers, phones, and other linux machines already enjoy. Nice.
by saturnine » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:10 pm
On Steve Gibson's "Security Now" podcast from 8/3/21 he evaluates an application called "tailscale" that does all the wireguard configuration for you. It has a free level for individuals. Would it be possible to connect to sonic using wireguard configured manually to get started (like we do with openvpn right now) and then connect our other devices using this configuration tool to take some of the pain out of it. Id seems like openVPN and ipsec are going to disappear over time to be replaced with wireguard.
by kolohe » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:08 pm
Another vote for WireGuard support from Sonic.
by soniclvr » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:24 pm
Another vote for WireGuard support in Sonic. OpenVPN works, but that's it. Speeds with openvpn are abysmal in client devices that don't have good enough CPUs (midrange routers... travel routers.....)

WireGuard is super fast, often close to wire speeds. Please consider adding support for it.
by vprasad » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:28 pm
soniclvr wrote:Any chance Sonic will implement wireguard in their VPN endpoint? The speed gains from wireguard are so brutal (wire speed essentially) vs OpenVPN that it would be well worth the effort.
Other than the one non-answer post from the architect a few years ago, has anyone from Sonic given a position on whether they have any interest in implementing a Wireguard endpoint? Even as a labs trial?
by dearscott » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:45 am
Wireguard is excellent and stable. It is available for userspace or the kernel. I came here looking for it because it is also faster than OpenVPN and easier to setup for non-technical users.

Tailscale is an interesting implementation since Sonic could host the backend Coordination server themselves. It just makes Wireguard a zero configuration setup and supports 2fa.

edit: OpenVPN is excellent and there is nothing wrong with it. So, thanks so much for offering it. I really appreciate it.
by atrasatti » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 pm
+1 to adding Wireguard support. It also works really well with Raspberry Pi
21 posts Page 2 of 3