New shell server transition

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
316 posts Page 15 of 32
by scott » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm
jht51 wrote:On the old shell server, one can access mail folder backups for the last couple of days by cd'ing to $MAIL/.snapshot/ . What's the equivalent on the new server?

Also, on the old server, one can create mail folder aliases by making symlinks within the $MAIL/
hierarchy. Can that be done on the new system?
The new system doesn't mount the mail spools -- instead, one accesses one's mail with IMAP.

Today I'm taking a little time to see if there is any way to improve the imap access.

-Scott
by scott » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 am
I've just swung the "shell.sonic.net" alias to point to "sh.sonic.net".

Bolt is still reachable at bolt.sonic.net or oldshell.sonic.net.

Hopefully this will be smooth, we'll see how this goes.

-Scott
by sls123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:37 pm
I am unable to figure out how to get gpg version 2 to work. I've tried all the hints from the internet but still unable to create a socket. The '--no-use-agent' is obsolete. bolt has gpg v1 installed. I would appreciate a v1 gpg on the new shell server or some black magic to make gpg 2 work.

Thanks!

I get "Operation not permitted" no matter where I attempt to create the socket:

% gpg-agent -v --daemon
gpg-agent[19014]: error binding socket to `/home/s/sls123/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Operation not permitted
%

% gpg -d <redacted>

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: <redacted>
2048-bit ELG key, ID D2BE73CD, created 2014-01-01 (main key ID E0789D87)

gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed
gpg: problem with the agent: No agent running
gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG key, ID D2BE73CD, created 2014-01-01
<redacted>
gpg: public key decryption failed: Operation cancelled
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key
%
by scott » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 pm
sls123 wrote:I am unable to figure out how to get gpg version 2 to work. I've tried all the hints from the internet but still unable to create a socket. The '--no-use-agent' is obsolete. bolt has gpg v1 installed. I would appreciate a v1 gpg on the new shell server or some black magic to make gpg 2 work.

Thanks!

% gpg-agent -v --daemon
gpg-agent[19014]: error binding socket to `/home/s/sls123/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': Operation not permitted
%

% gpg -d <redacted>

<redacted>
%
Ah, that is due to home directories being mounted with sshfs, which doesn't support Unix sockets. I will take a look at this, have some ideas how to fix it.

-Scott
by casner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm
I run emacs through ssh X11 forwarding back to a window on my laptop. When I start emacs on the new shell host, I get:

sh.sonic.net1> emacs weblog.txt
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

emacs does come up and appears to be mostly functional for the text file. I'm not sure what aspect of its (kitchen sink) functionality is missiing due to the aforementioned errors.

After updating my .emacs file to be similar to what I use on other platforms (with new versions of emacs than on bolt), then that libGL error no longer appears, but a different error is repeated five times at startup:

(emacs:13296): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create directory '/run/user/115739/dconf': Permission denied. dconf will not work properly.

I don't know how what role dconf plays with emacs. It is not explicitly referenced in the .emacs configuration.

I was expecting that emacs would be faster on the new server, but instead it is noticeably slower, both in the time it takes to go through all the interactions to bring up and resize the X window and in the delay to bring up a menu. On bolt the menu operations are significantly faster.
by blakers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:02 am
connect to sh.sonic.net only appears to accept 'Keyboard Interactive' as a PreferredAuthentications method?

is pubkey auth no longer supported?

if it is, docs for it are ... where?
by tbessie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am
On the new shell server, when I use Alpine to read my mail, it appears to be using different VIM settings than it does when I start VIM from the command line directly. That is, it doesn't appear to be honoring the .vimrc sitting in my home directory.

Have you configured Alpine to use a different .vimrc file?

- Tim
by dherr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 am
Key based ssh is working. Make sure your permissions are not any more open than mine and make sure the name of your auth file is the same. There have been changes over the years, but what I show here is currently working:

$ ls -la .ssh/
total 24
drwx------. 1 dherr user 4096 Jun 30 2017 .
drwx------. 1 dherr user 4096 Apr 19 11:25 ..
-rw-------. 1 dherr user 1192 Jun 30 2017 authorized_keys
-rw-r--r--. 1 dherr user 204 Mar 27 17:42 known_hosts
by scott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm
tbessie wrote:On the new shell server, when I use Alpine to read my mail, it appears to be using different VIM settings than it does when I start VIM from the command line directly. That is, it doesn't appear to be honoring the .vimrc sitting in my home directory.

Have you configured Alpine to use a different .vimrc file?

- Tim
I have not -- haven't heard of this problem until now.

This is one reason we decided to swing the "shell" alias over, to uncover and fix more issues before we decommission the old l server.

-Scott
p.s. catching up on forum now...
by scott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm
scott wrote:
sls123 wrote:I am unable to figure out how to get gpg version 2 to work. I've tried all the hints from the internet but still unable to create a socket. The '--no-use-agent' is obsolete. bolt has gpg v1 installed. I would appreciate a v1 gpg on the new shell server or some black magic to make gpg 2 work.

Thanks!

% gpg-agent -v --daemon
%

% gpg -d <redacted>

<redacted>
%
Ah, that is due to home directories being mounted with sshfs, which doesn't support Unix sockets. I will take a look at this, have some ideas how to fix it.

-Scott
Try it now, should be fixed.

I had to build gnupg without the option that puts the agent socket in the home directory -- it lives in /tmp. (Since each login has their own /tmp in their own chroot environments, that won't be a problem.)

-Scott
316 posts Page 15 of 32