New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
101 posts Page 4 of 11
by scott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 am
fiberadm wrote:Scott,
The new server doesn't seem to time out. Is that intentional?
-LenW
Yes, I'm not sure that resources are so scarce nowadays that we have to time out connections. (We'll see how that looks as we move along.)

However, if you want your connection to time out, just set the TMOUT variable to the number of seconds you'd like before timeout.

-Scott
by scott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 pm
scott wrote: haven't got around to syncing all the perl modules yet with what Bolt has, though.
They should be synced now. (Or at least, synced with what cpan -a reports on Bolt.) Please let me know if I've missed anything. Thanks!

-Scott
by netllama » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 pm
Thanks for the new server. Is there any quota system, or limit on file system usage? I'm not seeing anything obvious. Not that I intend to use tons of space, but it would be good to know what the limit is before I hit it.

Also, how will we be notified when bolt is retired and replaced with the new server?

thanks!
by gie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 pm
Just getting around to testing this out. Yikes, I am also totally dependent on pine and completely uninterested in switching to alpine, as several other people have mentioned. Why can't we have pine available, please? -- editing because now that I'm past the first login, it seems like at least most of the commands might be just about the same, in which case I can adapt... however, I'm trying to open folders within the mail and alpine is totally hung with "Opening [folder-name]" message.
by scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm
gie wrote:Just getting around to testing this out. Yikes, I am also totally dependent on pine and completely uninterested in switching to alpine, as several other people have mentioned. Why can't we have pine available, please? -- editing because now that I'm past the first login, it seems like at least most of the commands might be just about the same, in which case I can adapt... however, I'm trying to open folders within the mail and alpine is totally hung with "Opening [folder-name]" message.
Ugh, I see the problem -- alpine is trying to create a hard link on the sshfs file system when opening a folder.

Will see if there is some way to configure around that.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 pm
scott wrote:
gie wrote:Just getting around to testing this out. Yikes, I am also totally dependent on pine and completely uninterested in switching to alpine, as several other people have mentioned. Why can't we have pine available, please? -- editing because now that I'm past the first login, it seems like at least most of the commands might be just about the same, in which case I can adapt... however, I'm trying to open folders within the mail and alpine is totally hung with "Opening [folder-name]" message.
Ugh, I see the problem -- alpine is trying to create a hard link on the sshfs file system when opening a folder.

Will see if there is some way to configure around that.

-Scott
The solution is to use IMAP for all mail, which is what I should have been trying to do in the first place.

find the line in your .pinerc that says "folder-collections=" and change it to:

folder-collections=IMAP {imap.sonic.net:993/ssl/user=gie}INBOX.[]

Those are square brackets, "[" and "]". I've modified the alpine_help.sh script to display the line if you want to c/p from the server.

I'll see if I can configure this globally -- otherwise, I'll make a script for folks to set up their pinerc.

Thank you for the bug report! :)

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm
netllama wrote:Thanks for the new server. Is there any quota system, or limit on file system usage? I'm not seeing anything obvious. Not that I intend to use tons of space, but it would be good to know what the limit is before I hit it.
The usual quotas for user accounts apply -- your directories are the same, even though you are accessing them via sshfs. The only exception to this is each individual's /tmp, which will have a quota on it once we decide what it should be.
netllama wrote:Also, how will we be notified when bolt is retired and replaced with the new server?
Almost certainly we will be emailing a date where we will swing over the "shell" and "bolt" addresses, possibly leaving the old server available at something like "oldshell" for a period of time.

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 pm
I've updated the mutt_help.sh command to reflect a better way to set up mutt to use imap.

This time, it will access your folders over imap, too. There are two variables to set up that look like this:

set spoolfile="imaps://scott@imap.sonic.net/INBOX"
set folder="imaps://scott@imap.sonic.net/INBOX"

As with alpine, I'll investigate how to make this a global thing.

-Scott
by Gypsy Baron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:58 pm
Scott,

I have updated my old version of PuTTY and can access the new server. I added the inbox
path as you specified above and I can see all the messages that are in my current Pine INBOX.

I also see all the saved message folders just as I do in Pine however attempting to open any
of the folders results in a never ending "opening" message. Is there some other Alpine config
setting that I need to create/edit in order to be able to access those folders? Those folders are
currently in the path csardas/crl-mail.

Paul
csardas@sonic.net
by scott » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm
Gypsy Baron wrote:Scott,

I have updated my old version of PuTTY and can access the new server. I added the inbox
path as you specified above and I can see all the messages that are in my current Pine INBOX.

I also see all the saved message folders just as I do in Pine however attempting to open any
of the folders results in a never ending "opening" message. Is there some other Alpine config
setting that I need to create/edit in order to be able to access those folders? Those folders are
currently in the path csardas/crl-mail.

Paul
csardas@sonic.net
Hi Paul,

Yes, alpine doesn't seem to be compatible with sshfs, so everything it deals with needs to be over IMAP. Please run alpine.help.sh on the system again, it gives instructions on how to set up IMAP folders.

However, I'm pretty sure these aren't the same as people's traditional email folders in ~/Mail, so will have to either deliver access to that (possibly under a new namespace) on IMAP, or alternately, come up with a way to convert the ~/Mail mailboxes to IMAP mailboxes.

This is definitely a work in progress, thank you for your patience. :)

-Scott
101 posts Page 4 of 11