New shell server beta testing

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
100 posts Page 2 of 10
by steamer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 am
Long time putty and pine user here; more than 20 years now. Any chance of less spam in the new configuration? I'm averaging 400 to 600 spam per day now.
by scott » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 am
steamer wrote:
Long time putty and pine user here; more than 20 years now. Any chance of less spam in the new configuration? I'm averaging 400 to 600 spam per day now.


This change doesn't affect email delivery, so I'm not sure why you would be seeing so much more spam than usual.
by fiberadm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am
Many many thanks for continuing to support the Shell server!

Scott wrote: "Please give it a try and tell us what you think!"
Is this forum thread the best place to report problems?
by scott » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm
fiberadm wrote:
Many many thanks for continuing to support the Shell server!

Scott wrote: "Please give it a try and tell us what you think!"
Is this forum thread the best place to report problems?


Yes, this is a great place for any sort of shell discussions, except for security issues.

If something needs to be addressed in private, please email me at shellmaster@sonic.net . Thanks! :)

-Scott
by fiberadm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm
Scott,

Glad to see that you intend to keep user facilities more up-to-date.

And thanks for updating Perl. I see that the module library is
organized differently, so it's not so easy to compare with Bolt.
But I immediately found that Time::Piece, for one, is missing from
the new server.
Will you be providing (at least) all the Perl modules that were on Bolt?

(BTW, does the new server have a name other than "sh" ?)

Thanks,
-LenW
by fiberadm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm
scott wrote:
If something needs to be addressed in private, please email me at shellmaster@sonic.net . Thanks! :)
-Scott


Tried the email address and got a bounce:
"No such user here (in reply to RCPT TO command)"
eh?
-LenW
by scott » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:32 pm
fiberadm wrote:
scott wrote:
If something needs to be addressed in private, please email me at shellmaster@sonic.net . Thanks! :)
-Scott


Tried the email address and got a bounce:
"No such user here (in reply to RCPT TO command)"
eh?
-LenW

That's embarrassing.

Go ahead and use scott.doty@sonic.com for now, sorry about the trouble.

-Scott
by scott » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 am
Okay, learned something new -- since ssh had different key exchange algorithms that can be used, you will have multiple key fingerprints.

The one for ECDSA:

ECDSA key fingerprint is MD5:72:68:03:a1:6c:c3:48:5c:13:04:b7:4d:91:b3:5c:5d
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:3Shjz0z7pf5EhaJuPaq4Dij92qFd34dRl9pbeNZAtWk

I verified these key fingerprings by connecting directly from the shell server back on localhost, so a MitM attack would be very unlikely in that scenario.

Apologies for any confusion this may have caused. Thanks to Mr. LenW for noticing the key fingerprint he saw didn't match the one I'd published up-thread!

-Scott
by scott » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 am
fiberadm wrote:
Scott,

Glad to see that you intend to keep user facilities more up-to-date.

And thanks for updating Perl. I see that the module library is
organized differently, so it's not so easy to compare with Bolt.
But I immediately found that Time::Piece, for one, is missing from
the new server.
Will you be providing (at least) all the Perl modules that were on Bolt?


I thought I'd got all the perl modules that are on Bolt, but I guess some slipped through the cracks. Will ensure that they are more or less in sync.

fiberadm wrote:
(BTW, does the new server have a name other than "sh" ?)


Not really. It started out as "shelly", but that name was only temporary. Any suggestions for a proper name?

-Scott
by lrralph » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am
Been using the new one for a few days. Used to work good, until this morning:

Code: Select all

> ssh lr@sh.sonic.net
Authenticated with partial success.
Password: <have to type my password here>
Last login: Wed Jan 1

I hope that this is a little oops, and passwordless login (with authenticated ssh keys) will start working again. Honestly, for the shell login it's not a big deal; I can type my password a few times a day and it won't kill me. But for rsync, scp and the like it's gnarly. The problem does not exist in the old shell.sonic.net machine (same NFS file system), so it's not my ssh key files.

Again, thank you for working on a new server!
Ralph
100 posts Page 2 of 10

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 422 on Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests