Fiber in NW Oakland (Emeryville/Oakland/Berkeley Triplepoint and Klinknerville)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
13 posts Page 1 of 2
by sparky.p32 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:48 pm
I'm wondering what the timeline looks like for the Triplepoint/Klinknerville area and what I can do to speed things up. We pre-ordered at the end of 2017 and the original November date came and went with no word other than the construction update emails that are detail-free.

I emailed customer service months ago and they were unable to give any specifics, nor were they able to give information on how I and my neighbors could help by lobbying the planning department in Oakland or Berkeley.

Thanks,
Scott
by jacob.karinen » Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 am
Hey Scott,

I'm looking into this to see what I can find out. For more in-depth information, I need to reach out to my engineering team which isn't here over the weekends and with Monday being a holiday it may be a bit longer before I'll have it. Just based off what's available to me right now it looks like the neighborhood you're in is about 30% complete as of early May. I'll most likely have another update for you by next Wednesday.

Thanks for your patience.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by sparky.p32 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm
Any updates?

And what does 30% complete mean? How do you define a neighborhood?
by johio » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:32 pm
Dane had a really good post on this in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10468

here's the meat of what he said:
dane wrote:The unfortunately answer is, it varies. Finishment of the network involves completion of splicing at local convergence point cabinets, interconnection to backbone, central office equipment activation, and finally activation in our provisioning platforms. A very rough "few months" is probably realistic in most cases, but it's widely variable due to dependencies throughout the system. For example, we've had situations where we've had to wait a long time for permits to place a key backbone cable. Or, scenarios where an underground connection was required, and we had to coordinate and get that completed. Central office entrance cables can also hold things up, as can inside plant (in the CO) work.
by sparky.p32 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 pm
Not sure if they were installing for Sonic or not as I didn't have a chance to stop and ask, but I've seen bucket trucks in my neighborhood - though all in Emeryville - installing fiber over the last week. None of them had Sonic on their doors. Most were unlabeled. One had Bronco Communications so fingers crossed.
by igorru » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 am
Bronco is installing for Sonic. I'm sure they also rented a bunch of trucks for the purpose, so no markings on those.

Yes, Emeryville is getting a lot of Sonic fiber on the poles right now.
by haley » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 pm
Any updates here? Was similarly expecting a Nov 2018 rollout and have heard nothing at all from Sonic since that date, aside from the occasional marketing email. Been a loyal customer for many years and really looking forward to gigabit but the lack of information is frustrating!

In case this thread is being monitored, I'd love an update on when gigabit can be expected in the gaskill area, 53rd & Gaskill to be specific. Thanks!
by dane » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 pm
haley wrote:Any updates here? Was similarly expecting a Nov 2018 rollout and have heard nothing at all from Sonic since that date, aside from the occasional marketing email. Been a loyal customer for many years and really looking forward to gigabit but the lack of information is frustrating!

In case this thread is being monitored, I'd love an update on when gigabit can be expected in the gaskill area, 53rd & Gaskill to be specific. Thanks!
Are you not getting a status email each month?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sparky.p32 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 pm
So, yes I have been getting the construction status emails. They are super generic and as I stated above - not helpful from a planning standpoint.

Good news is - trucks had been running around the neighborhood for weeks this summer, and a few weeks ago a crew was working on a box at the end of my block. So obviously much progress has been made.

So my question is - how long should it take? The sonic crew said that they thought that Sonic would be ready to start installing houses on our block in a few weeks, but that was a few weeks ago.

Should I expect a call or an email? I just logged in to check my account and there's nothing there.
by sparky.p32 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Well good news/bad news for the Klinknerville neighborhood.

Good news: I JUST got notification that I need to schedule my appointment.
Bad news: Earliest I could schedule is beginning of November. :(

Still holding my breath.
13 posts Page 1 of 2