Pace 4111n "Features"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by smolnar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm
Being a current Fusion customer for some time now, I am looking at the going to Bonded ADSL2+. Also this current unit will only last so long before I have to replace it. So this is the best time than any to ask.

-Bridge Mode [ From what I read that this does work, and not officially supported. Tisk Tisk]
-Disable Wireless [ I assume this is a valid configuration, but it is an assumption after all. ]
-Wall Mountable
-Firewall is disabled while in Bridge Mode.
-In Bridge Mode all IPs will transverse correctly without needing LAN Subports.
-While in Bridge Mode one of my current Static IPs will not be taken away to the modem.

Thanks
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 pm
Yes on all points - except wall mounting. The unit has a stand, and is designed to sit upright on a flat surface. There are not any mounting holes included which would make it easy to wall mount.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by smolnar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm
Thank You. The lack of wall mounting, as available in the current modem supplied by Sonic, would require me to build a shelf and restraining strap to mount on my telco wall. That is unfortunate.
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm
smolnar wrote:Thank You. The lack of wall mounting, as available in the current modem supplied by Sonic, would require me to build a shelf and restraining strap to mount on my telco wall. That is unfortunate.
Yup, it's "shelf mount". But, restraining strap? You installing it at sea??
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by smolnar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 pm
Just installing it in the Bay Area. Earthquakes and all. While all my telco hardware at home is mounted on a plywood wall, having to build a shelf for a unit that weighs less than a toaster. Without some sort of restraining the unit will tip over and fall. Putting strain on the cables and the solder joints for the female jacks. That or falling 5 feet to a concrete floor. Both would cause issues with the unit in general.
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 pm
smolnar wrote:Just installing it in the Bay Area. Earthquakes and all. While all my telco hardware at home is mounted on a plywood wall, having to build a shelf for a unit that weighs less than a toaster. Without some sort of restraining the unit will tip over and fall. Putting strain on the cables and the solder joints for the female jacks. That or falling 5 feet to a concrete floor. Both would cause issues with the unit in general.
Okay. It's about 5" square, and weighs something like ten ounces, so it's a small and light unit.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by polpo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:06 pm
But the Pace 4111n isn't used for bonded service, correct?

I'm pretty sure it's still the Zyxel P-663HN-51, which also doesn't have wall mount ability: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Zyxel_P-663HN-51
by wa2ibm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:02 am
I've always managed to get desktop modems to hang on my communications wall. The result may remind some of Rube Goldberg, however. :mrgreen:
by bobrk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Perhaps a tie wrap or two would suffice?
by digitalbitstream » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 am
I drilled two holes in the base, and screwed the base to a surface. Then slid the modem in.
When it comes time to return it to sonic, I'll just fill the holes with putty. And hope Dane never reads this and blacklists my account.
12 posts Page 1 of 2