Sunnyvale 94086 speed question

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Kenneth Moore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm
I have a question on download speeds. The Sonic.net site says:
"Good news! Looks like Sonic.net Fusion℠ is available. Your location is about 9,944 feet from our local serving office."

What kind of dn/up speeds should I expect?

I currently have ATT DSL and speeds are slow. I want to switch to Comcast or Sonic, but I need to know the speeds I will get. Sonic pricing is right.

Thanks ... Ken
by Guest » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm
As far as I can tell, sonic re-packages AT&T service, so if you are getting bad AT&T services you will probably do the same or worse with Sonic, especially since the speed benefits of Fusion (Sonic's competitive advantage over plan ol AT&T service) disappear radically at such long distances.
by dane » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm
Fusion is ADSL2+, which can deliver a max of about 3x the speed of the older ADSL1 you are using today. But, that speed benefit narrows as the distance increases, so it's unlikely you will see this sort of gain.

For a chart of current average speed by distance, see:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart

Note though there is a lot of variability, as you will see from the scatter plot if you scroll down.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by relyef » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:12 pm
I'm in 94087 and I've been told I'm about 10K+ feet from the switch. I'm getting a stable connection at about 1.6 down/0.7 up Mbit/s. Somehow, it is faster than my former AT&T connection and much more reliable. Had to call Sonic customer support and ask them not to use automatic throttling program. With this program active the DSL was at crawl.
4 posts Page 1 of 1