When is fiber going to be deploy in S.F?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by joe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:46 am
When is the fiber going to be deploy in S.F?
I am in the Sunset area, have been hearing Sonic is deploying the service sometimes ago, but not in my area yet, want to know when it is going to be available... thanks
by dane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am
joe wrote:When is the fiber going to be deploy in S.F?
I am in the Sunset area, have been hearing Sonic is deploying the service sometimes ago, but not in my area yet, want to know when it is going to be available... thanks
Currently we are awaiting issuance of a permit from the City of SF. Once that's received, we have some equipment to order and a bit of engineering to do, so it will still take some time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Tim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:05 pm
wow. why is it taking so long to get these permits!?
by dane » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm
Tim wrote:wow. why is it taking so long to get these permits!?
State PUC review for CEQA first, which takes some time, then the city asked for changes on our initial application, and now that we're past that, I think it's in a 30 or 60 day public notice phase.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by thulsa_doom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 pm
Tim wrote:wow. why is it taking so long to get these permits!?
Mostly because the good people of San Francisco don't want their infrastructure looking like this:

John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by virtualmike » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 am
LOL! Where was that taken?
by Paul » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am
Great picture. Even though it is an exterior photo, it reminds me of many telco equipment rooms where I used to work.
So glad I retired. What's the location/date? Is it still there? It should be made into a national monument dedicated to infrastructure decay. Wow!
by aw » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am
Is that the slums of Rio?

*edit* Tineye.com is my friend. It's India http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/who-said- ... risk/20003
by virtualmike » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm
Good call!
by polpo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 pm
While not as bad as the above picture, the Sunset is pretty full of overhead wires:

And the Richmond, too:

Granted, both are kind of photography tricks done with telephoto lenses.
15 posts Page 1 of 2