Dynamic DNS

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ddeptford » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm
I would really like a dynamic dns option with sonic.net. Like dyndns and no-ip, but without the hassle of expiring subdomains.

If I ask really nicely can I get it? :)
by dane » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm
Would you prefer a static IP instead though?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gp1628 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:58 am
Do you have a domain? Those services are usually offered for people who dont have static IPs. Static is much better. You would "own" the IP number almost the same as owning your domain.

Ive always had static IPs for almost as long as they have existed. I much prefer it
by ultramookie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm
dane wrote:Would you prefer a static IP instead though?

-Dane
i would, but i'm waiting for when sonic starts offering blocks of IPs less than 8. i'd totally get two, but eight is overkill for me.
by gp1628 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 am
8 is a basic unit in DNS unless they want to go into singles.

That would be a discussion Id guess. It used to be that the type of people who wanted static IPs tended to have multiple things to put the IPs on. Now? maybe not so much
by ultramookie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:39 am
gp1628 wrote: It used to be that the type of people who wanted static IPs tended to have multiple things to put the IPs on.
Yup, that's why I'd like to get just two :) One for a server and one for a NAT/router.
6 posts Page 1 of 1