Price - Sonic Fiber vs Sonic Fiber (AT&T Lines)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by shane82388 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:32 pm
I've had the "Sonic" gig fiber connection that runs through AT&T for a few months now and it's wonderful so far.

I now see that Sonic is allowing pre-orders for 1000Mbps fiber connections in my neighborhood (Petaluma) and I also noticed the price for the same speed service is significantly lower than what I'm currently paying for the same speed through the Sonic/AT&T combo connection...

Will this require me to have a new installation etc to get on the real Sonic fiber connection and get to pay the much lower price, or will I be automatically migrated to this much lower price somehow?
Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.21.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 1.21.20 PM.png (227.63 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
by larns576 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:59 am
For sure, they have to run a new fiber line into the house and set up their own ONT and router. Sonic support can probably switch your account over to their in house fiber price and cancel the ATT account for you. You will still have to return the ATT router tho.

Note that this is only speculation as I didnt have ATT over Sonic. I did have ATT fiber direct and cancelled ATT on my own after Sonic fiber arrived though.
by kyle.depasquale » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 am
Once their service is up and running on your street, they will automatically migrate you over to their lines vs AT&T's fiber lines. It works similarly to those who are on AT&T's FTTN service when Sonic fiber comes in - they automatically move you over to the Sonic fiber lines in that case as well.
by jacob.karinen » Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 am
larns576 is correct. Installation of our fiber connection would be required as it's a whole different set of lines compared to AT&Ts fiber. It's our own infrastructure and not a leased service from AT&T. When it's available for you we'll most likely be reaching out to get you scheduled for installation so you can switch over.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by rconti » Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 am
You won't be "automatically migrated to the lower price", though, since it involves a new installation and new equipment. You'll have to preorder, or order when it becomes available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic reaches out to all existing resold-connection owners, but you'll have to take some action.

I'm in the same boat; haven't had the Sonic installation done yet but I do have my pre-order in, and ATT resold fiber is currently in the house.
by dane » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am
rconti wrote:You won't be "automatically migrated to the lower price", though, since it involves a new installation and new equipment. You'll have to preorder, or order when it becomes available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic reaches out to all existing resold-connection owners, but you'll have to take some action.

I'm in the same boat; haven't had the Sonic installation done yet but I do have my pre-order in, and ATT resold fiber is currently in the house.
Any current customers on any platforms - Fusion copper xDSL, Fusion IP Broadband copper or fiber - all automatically get a migration notification when Sonic Fiber arrives.

Please don't place a pre-order - else you'll end up with two accounts, and a bit of a mess. Your existing service functions as a fiber pre-order.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Steve » Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm
Shane82388, That price that they are offering is misleading and, I must say, I am pissed. It says;
$40/month for a year. I took this deal, signing up a year ago. Looking into it before signing up I saw that $40 does not include the required equipment rental @ $9.50 so the $10 discount would cover that for a year and then go up to $59.50

To quote exactly the information from Sonic on placing my order:
Order Summary
Fusion Fiber Pre-Order 50.00
Installation Fee 0.00
Sonic $10 for 12 Mos -10.00
First month free! -49.50
Equipment 9.50
Total 0.00

We finally got the installation and the first bill it is $60.97 NOT $49.50 !!!! This extra $132.24 /yr. (may not seem like much to some but it is to me) is for the taxes and fees for the Internet phone service which we do NOT need, want, or will use. We haven't even plugged a phone into the line. We have a POTS land line as a backup phone and don't need an Internet phone. We really want to get rid of that and save the money. I will soon be shopping around for a new service.

Sonic, if you a listening, please stop requiring us to buy the Internet phone service.
by Larns576 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:30 pm
Mine comes out to $63/mo after fees, with the first year discount. Should go up to $73 next year. Their prices aren't a secret. They clearly mention +taxes +fees. You should always inquire how much are the taxes and fees and I'm sure Sonic will freely tell you.

If you are determined to leave Sonic over the VOIP line, might I suggest ATT fiber. They sell their 300Mb (1TB cap) fiber for $70/mo flat including taxes, fees, and rental.

Comcast offered me 400Mb down/25Mb up for $60 /mo + fees.

Neither ATT nor Comcast included VOIP so you should be good to go.

Good luck in your endeavors!
by Steve » Fri May 17, 2019 11:00 pm
Larns576, thanks for the reply. Yes I did as you did, searching for another service and at the time ATT was not offering high speed service in my area. Funny how when I called ATT to drop my account, they offered me the 300 Mb service. Too late for that, having already had Sonic installed. I picked Sonic not only for the speed and their price, but for their stated policies. I still wish they would un-bundle the Internet phone service from the Internet access service.

Does anyone else wish to have a choice whether or not to take (and pay for) the phone service?
by Larns576 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:07 am
I think alot of us prefer not having VOIP, but it is necessary for their business model. They wouldnt be able to offer fiber for $40 without it.

If you have decided to stay with Sonic, I suggest returning their Pace router to save $9.50/mo and just use your old router. If you dont have one, the Tmobile Wifi Cellspot/Asus RT-AC68U can be had for around $60. Downside is that the older router doesnt have the wifi throughput of these newer routers and you'll be on your own for all support past the ONT.
14 posts Page 1 of 2