internet keeps disconnecting

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by draggett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 pm
I am very disappointed in the new modem equipment. I was previously using my own setup with a speed stream modem and a linksys router but decided to go with your equipment. Ever since receiving it I have had dropped wireless connections and difficulty staying connected. When I called tech support the only suggestion I got was to change the channel and to google the modem settings. Come on. You can do better then that. I first had my sonic account when you guys were starting up in the 1990s. I'm so frustrated and ready to jump ship.
by dane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:24 am
Is the connection issue on both the wireless and wired, or only on the WiFi? If the latter, is it affecting all of your wireless devices, or do some work and some do not?

Regarding channel settings, it should automatically choose the best channel.

Give the main page a look - does it alert you (big red letters) to any impairments, at http://gateway.sonic.net/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by draggett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:34 pm
Dane,

It happens on all my wireless devices (iPad 2, new iPad, android tablet). I took it off auto as per tech support and was told to choose another channel. I've tried various channels and cannot stay connected very long even though the devices show a strong signal.

What to do?
by dane » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:43 pm
Give the main page a look - does it alert you (big red letters) to any impairments, at http://gateway.sonic.net/

How close to the access point are the devices?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by draggett » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 pm
No impairments are shown. I'm never any more than 15 feet from the router.
by dane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am
draggett wrote:No impairments are shown. I'm never any more than 15 feet from the router.
Very odd. Well, one advantage of our equipment rental program is advanced replacement, so call support and ask for another unit! Maybe yours has a defective radio.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm
draggett wrote:No impairments are shown. I'm never any more than 15 feet from the router.
Do you have an Android phone (or tablet), or perhaps a friend with one? If so, the Wifi Analyzer app may be helpful. It'll show the signal strength of your router, the other routers around you, the channels each one is using, etc.

That may reveal a lot of information about the wifi activity around your home, and maybe even some answers why you're having trouble.

Another Android app looks promising, but I don't use it (but I'm looking into it!).

I looked at the Apple App Store, but I can't find anything similar for iPhones/iPads.
17 posts Page 2 of 2