Giga on 2400 block of West St in Berkeley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by TomLent » Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 pm
I was happy to see a cherry picker truck with crews working for Sonic on installing gigabit on the poles on our block (West St between Channing and Dwight in Berkeley) this week. Several of us on the block are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to switch from Alas, when I called Sales, they reported that they understand there is a problem with access to the poles to do drops on that block. Sales suggested that I contact you here to determine our next step to over come that problem.
Please let us know what we can do to help remove whatever obstacles there are. Is there a physical access problem with someone's property that we can help facilitate? Or is it an institutional problem with pole facility ownership with the City or one of the other utilities sharing the poles that we can help lobby to get addressed? Let us know what our next steps should be to getting fiber on our block.
Thanks!
Tom
by jacob.karinen » Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm
UPDATE: Alright so apparently while the fiber there is built up it's not yet connected to our network. There's some trench work that will need to be done further down the line to get us connected. Unfortunately, that's not something I can offer you a timeline on. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for reaching out. While I don't have an answer for you just yet, I wanted to let you know someone was looking into this to see what we can find out. As soon as I have some information I'll reply here with what I can.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
by RobertCohen » Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Jacob,

I'm a neighbor of Tom's on the same block. I've also been a Sonic customer and fan for 6 to 7 years.

It's been over a year and a half since Sonic told me that fast fiber was coming. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to accelerate installation.

Thanks,

Robert
by igorru » Thu May 09, 2019 9:42 am
Tom, Robert,

I live close by in the Poet's Corner. Just out of curiosity I drove by this morning through your block. You are in a bit of a tricky place as you are surrounded by an area that is undergrounded on all sides except Dwight. Also, fiber has not yet been run on the poles on your block. The crew that you saw was probably doing some prep work.

Considering that they got the permit only 3 weeks ago and started working in the Poet's Corner some 2 weeks ago it's still too early to expect them to be finished. Fiber deployment can take a month or two, although, from what I see, they are working incredibly fast.

Igor
by TomLent » Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am
Thank you Jacob & Igor for checking in on this and updating us. I completely appreciate that this will take some time to connect everything up. My checking in started when I was unable to place a pre-order so was concerned that this block was being left out of the blitz. Just wanted to make sure you know there are a number of us ready to go as soon as you are.

Tom
by igorru » Thu May 09, 2019 11:01 am
Hmmm... Are you by some chance close to Channing? It looks like the end of that block near the intersection with Channing is considered undergrounded. That might be the reason why you are unable to place a pre-order. If that is the case you'll have to work closely with Sonic to see if they can work something out for you.
6 posts Page 1 of 1