Firewall blocking 69.12.218.40 - Packets to Unopened Ports

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by dlbaynecpa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am
My firewall, Vipre, has been blocking 69.12.218.40 under a tab "Packets to Unopened Ports". It looks like this is a Sonic.net server. Should I allow access?

I just noticed that my firewall is allowing 69.12.208.33 under a tab "IDS", reference ICMP Destination Unreachable Fragment".
by kavan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 pm
That first IP is the imap/pop mail server. The second is the forums server. You probably want to allow both.
by dlbaynecpa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 pm
I allowed both but still received nitification of a block on 69.12.218.40. Since the notification refers to port 995, perhaps my email client POP3 is connecting too often. I changed the frequency to no more than once every 5 minutes. Is that about right? I will let you know if that fixes the problem.
by cataha » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:39 pm
i had a similar problem with sonic and google for past month or two and so i stopped by sonic and talked to a tech guy and he said there is nothing on a sonic end that could do that..........(despite the fact that i allowed for sonic and ... to be let in) In my opinion it's new security update/future that's been implemented, or a networking gear is going out.
I figure for now i live with it until sonic posts some notice in a future saying some networking gear all of sudden went out or something else similar of that nature
by thulsa_doom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm
cataha wrote:i had a similar problem with sonic and google for past month or two and so i stopped by sonic and talked to a tech guy and he said there is nothing on a sonic end that could do that..........(despite the fact that i allowed for sonic and ... to be let in) In my opinion it's new security update/future that's been implemented, or a networking gear is going out.
I figure for now i live with it until sonic posts some notice in a future saying some networking gear all of sudden went out or something else similar of that nature
We do not offer customizable firewall rules on a per-circuit basis on Fusion circuits, and the firewall on ADSL1 circuits is configurable to a few preset values that are potentially useful: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/DSL_Firewall

Generally speaking we prefer to allow customers to manage their own firewalls and only intervene when there is a network attack that is disrupting service for multiple customers.

Regarding networking gear going out, I'm unclear how that is related. That would tend to cause traffic to not happen, as opposed to making phantom traffic that a firewall doesn't like.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by cataha » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm
Without going to a fine detailed picture i would say this. my LOGICAL conclusion that's it's been scheduled (not on my end that's for sure 120%, since all of my scheduling goes like this 5min 10min 30min, so if this would be my end it would be on an intervals of every 5/10/30minutes but not on Sundays only at 12-1:15AM)
It's started 1,5-2,5 months ago it first begone on Saturday 12AM then it went on to a Sunday 12AM-1:15AM then it comeback on Monday 12AM then on Wednesday at 12AM then it stopped on Sunday at about 12-1:15am
I spoke to couple of CCIE Dudes(i'm in a networking my self CCNP/SP) and they all agreed that it's been schedules but what can it be, we all went our separate ways, either it's a DNS/DNSS or... but my experience tells me it's something has to do with a security since browser HHTP/S works POP/S and other mail servers on/at "S" are effected
Since i can not really physically at this point in time with my CPE device/site point a finger i'll way until it's been resolved, to finally see it for my self what was it

Why it could be a gear every time something is been introduced or mem leaking something new come-up never foreseen, therefore it start to act behave other then it's usual

and that's the time i fireup my con0 and ssh reset and start fresh it's kinda getting old but anyways......
6 posts Page 1 of 1