Moving to Santa Rosa from SF. Am I entering a Fiber desert?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by pm411 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 am
I've been a Sonic customer since moving to SF a decade ago and now my partner and I are pulling stakes and making the move to Sonoma County for the long term because of work. We'll likely rent in Santa Rosa for the first year while we save and every place we're looking at has really slow internet options from Sonic, most in the 20Mbps range-- which I know from my time living in the Tenderloin that depending on my distance from the DSLAM, that 20Mbps can vary wildly. I currently live in the Outer Richmond in SF and have had Sonic's Gigabit Fiber service the moment it arrived on my block and we absolutely love it for both work and entertainment purposes. The prospect of going back to crawling speeds is very disheartening. There is also zero chance of us paying for faster speeds from the major players such as Comcast, et al. as we find them completely unethical and don't want to support their business.

I understand Fiber infrastructure rollout is expensive, slow, and often runs against political headwinds born of lobbying from the major ISPs, but I guess I expected a Santa Rosa-based company to have better representation of their high profile services in their home city and county.
by jacob.karinen » Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm
I completely understand where you're coming from pm411. I'd be a bit bummed out going from gigabit fiber to copper-based DSL as well. We want to bring our residential fiber service to our home town of Santa Rosa about as much as our users do, maybe even a little more. There are logistical hurdles for the deployment of a brand new infrastructure and as we've built out in areas like SF and Oakland we've gotten better at working with these hurdles in regards to expanding our service. If we take into consideration our fiber expansion over the last 4 years we can see it's been growing exponentially and so I'm confident we'll be seeing it here one day soon. We've also been working with AT&T to have access to their fiber service as a way to offer that lightspeed internet in areas we aren't available yet. Between their expanding footprint and ours, it may not be too long to get you fiber.

As for what's available at your new address. You can DM your address and I can take a look from my side. I might be able to give you a more accurate estimate in terms of bandwidth for where you're moving too.
Jacob K.
Community and Escalations Supervisor
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1