Fusion and "remote terminal"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by ronks » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 pm
I looked into getting Fusion for our house in north Oakland and got the message
"We are currently unable to provide you with Fusion because you are
6894 feet behind a remote terminal, which blocks the Fusion signal."

That's about a mile and a third. What is the "remote terminal" here; some equipment at the central office a mile away? And is it possible that the calculation is wrong?
by wa2ibm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm
A Remote Terminal is a piece of equipment containing the RDSLAMs (Remote DSL Access Multiplexor) that is deployed at some distance away from the CO to permit servicing DSL customers that are too far from the CO.

Because the RDSLAM is closer to you than the CO, signals on the wires are much stronger than signals that would come from the much further away CO, causing substantial interference. For this reason, Fusion is not deployed to customers in an area serviced by RT's, because it just wouldn't work in such an instance.

You can still apply for Sonic Wholesale DSL, but you'll still need an AT&T phone line.
by ronks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14 am
Thanks! We have Sonic DSL service, and it looks like that is all we can get.
by bobrk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:51 pm
wa2ibm wrote:A Remote Terminal is a piece of equipment containing the RDSLAMs (Remote DSL Access Multiplexor) that is deployed at some distance away from the CO to permit servicing DSL customers that are too far from the CO.

Because the RDSLAM is closer to you than the CO, signals on the wires are much stronger than signals that would come from the much further away CO, causing substantial interference. For this reason, Fusion is not deployed to customers in an area serviced by RT's, because it just wouldn't work in such an instance.
I thought it was because Sonic doesn't have access to the R/T so they can't put their Fusion equipment in it.
by wa2ibm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm
Dane stated that Sonic made the decision not to deploy R/T's, in favor of fiber. It was an economic decision.

Now, I'm not sure if the reasoning included whether they could or couldn't install Fusion equipment at existing R/T''s, or because they'd have to build their own R/T's.
by bobrk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 pm
Oh, ok, I must have missed that one. I thought it was a loophole in the deregulations that let AT&T keep out 3rd parties in the R/Ts.
by dane » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm
I've got an article on the topic that provides some additional detail: http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 pm
"To create these modal monopolies, the FCC began to foreclose meaningful competition. First, they set aside access to available idle incumbent fiber optic lines for competitors, meaning the the suburbs, which are served by fiber-fed digital loop carriers and remote terminals, were out of reach. "

This says you can't get into the R/T, correct?
by dane » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 pm
bobrk wrote:"To create these modal monopolies, the FCC began to foreclose meaningful competition. First, they set aside access to available idle incumbent fiber optic lines for competitors, meaning the the suburbs, which are served by fiber-fed digital loop carriers and remote terminals, were out of reach. "

This says you can't get into the R/T, correct?
You would have to dig up the streets and put in new fiber, as the idle incumbent fiber is not available. This makes it not feasible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1