Is Fiber Coming to San Francisco? This decade?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Kevin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 am
Earlier this year there was a report that Sonic.net was building a fiber network in San Francisco, specifically the Sunset district where I happen to live. I came to the site today for the first time in several months and.... the same article from May is the only information available.

So - Is there going to be a fiber network installed in the San Francisco Sunset district? If yes, then it gonna happen within a year? WIthin two years? What's the general time frame?

I'm currently a comcast subscriber because it's faster and less setup than the current sonic.net options. I'd love to switch over, and I'd absolutely be one of the first ten subscribers to the fiber network, I just would like to know when I can expect it to happen. I know there's probably a shit ton of legal nonsense to deal with and the installation isn't easy, but any estimate or help would be appreciated. Hopefully it won't be too long before it happens, it's sort of humiliating that Kansas City has better internet infrastructure than San Francisco
by dane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm
We are still working through the permit process.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Kevin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 pm
Hey Dane, thanks for the personal reply. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed
by Jameson B. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Me too! Very excited by the prospect of Sonic.net service in our area (I'm in Laurel Heights, but any progress to true FTTH would be appreciated).

As an active citizen, is there any way we can contribute to this? Petitioning? Emailing the permitting office? We desperately need your service in San Francisco!
by dane » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm
Jameson B. wrote:Me too! Very excited by the prospect of Sonic.net service in our area (I'm in Laurel Heights, but any progress to true FTTH would be appreciated).

As an active citizen, is there any way we can contribute to this? Petitioning? Emailing the permitting office? We desperately need your service in San Francisco!
Nothing for now. We are awaiting the closure of this next 20 day waiting period.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tbessie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 pm
Kevin wrote:... I know there's probably a shit ton of legal nonsense to deal with and the installation isn't easy, but any estimate or help would be appreciated. Hopefully it won't be too long before it happens, it's sort of humiliating that Kansas City has better internet infrastructure than San Francisco
Well - Kansas City = Very Flat And Gridlike (mostly - granted, I've never been there); San Francisco = Very Hilly And Confusing/Curly Streets (tho' the Sunset is much more regular).

That probably figures into it somehow.

Plus, the whole thing of local control of telecommunications networks vs. corporate domination of them, and the finances and politics that play into all that. You have to have the right conjunction of all of that to make it work, from what I've heard.

- Tim
by sirpedro » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:11 am
tbessie wrote:
Kevin wrote:... I know there's probably a shit ton of legal nonsense to deal with and the installation isn't easy, but any estimate or help would be appreciated. Hopefully it won't be too long before it happens, it's sort of humiliating that Kansas City has better internet infrastructure than San Francisco
Well - Kansas City = Very Flat And Gridlike (mostly - granted, I've never been there); San Francisco = Very Hilly And Confusing/Curly Streets (tho' the Sunset is much more regular).

That probably figures into it somehow.

Plus, the whole thing of local control of telecommunications networks vs. corporate domination of them, and the finances and politics that play into all that. You have to have the right conjunction of all of that to make it work, from what I've heard.

- Tim
It's more than just that. I think about 5 years ago, AT&T wanted to install maybe 700 or 800 utility boxes on the streets of SF for VDSL and the citizens balked. VDSL only goes out to about 1.5km at which point the speeds are comparable to what one would get from the ADSL2+ Fusion service.

I kinda assume Sonic is facing similar hurdles at this point with their boxes, but Sonic wants less than 200 boxes since they are using fiber instead of copper. Fiber can go an order of magnitude further.
7 posts Page 1 of 1