Local network bottlenecks for gigabit speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by rlaurston » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:13 pm
Some interesting numbers:
  • modem > Macbook using speedtest.net Mac client: 941 mbps down / 931 up
  • modem > Eero > gigabit hub > MacBook using speedtest.net Mac client: 898 / 713
  • modem > Eero > gigabit hub > Windows 7 PC using speedtest.net Windows client: 619 / 675
  • modem > Eero > gigabit hub > MacBook using Sonic web browser speed test: 496 / 533
  • modem > Eero > gigabit hub > Windows 7 PC using Sonic web browser speed test: 279 / 172
  • Macbook over WiFi using Sonic web browser speed test: 182 / 136
  • Macbook over WiFi using speedtest.net Mac client: 179 / 120
  • Moto Z Force Droid using Speedtest app: 34 / 44
  • Moto Z Force Droid using using Sonic web browser speed test: 30 / 29
All the cables are CAT 6. Connecting directly to the Eero got numbers similar to connecting to the hub.

I'm not sure why the Eero should affect uploads more than downloads.

I installed a supposedly gigabit Ethernet card in the PC because the supposedly gigabit Intel 82579LM Ethernet chip on the motherboard turned out to be unable to do even 100 mbps. I'm going to run Linux on the PC to see if that makes a difference.
Robert Lauriston, Berkeley
by dane » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm
It’s fun that the issues are all LAN and client now. ISP last mile optically connected at full Gigabit, means we’re no longer the speed limiting factor!

Thank you for posting the testing results, it’s very illuminating to see the wide range of client and connection types and different capabilities.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1