Sonic vs ATT Gigabyte service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by Palo Alto Mark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm
Sonic Gigabyte service is now available in my hometown -- Palo Alto, California. However, the Sonic web site states that Sonic uses ATT's fiber network to deliver the service. As far as I can tell, the package and price that Sonic offers for Gigabyte service is identical to ATT.

So why would one sign up for Sonic vs ATT or vice versa?
by larns576 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 pm
It kinda depends on what you're looking for. Buying directly from ATT is cheaper but then you automatically get opted into marketing and sharing data. Some options can be opted out while others cant. ATTs fiber customer service is pretty good compared to Crapcast. And dealing with them directly eliminates the need for the middle man.

Going with Sonic means slightly higher prices but you also get more stuff packaged in, like VOIP and great customer service from a local company. They can be trusted to not sell your data to marketers. If you ever need support, they answer the phone right away and I believe their tech support are not outsourced to India. If there is a hardware problem, Sonic will contact ATT on your behalf.

As a former direct ATT fiber customer, I can attest that their customer service is pretty good. Their install tech was 3 hrs late, but they did call multiple times to ensure that I still wanted to continue with the install that day. They stayed until ~7:30pm to finish up even though it was already dark out. I'm sure they didnt want to come that late, but they did anyway and without giving me grief.
by joeyyung911 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:43 pm
-Local company
-No caps
-Privacy
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by PaloAlto Mark » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:55 am
Thanks Gents. From what I can tell the pricing really is about the same between ATT and Sonic, so it's a no brainer - go with Sonic.
by rconti » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02 am
Just got my Sonic-resold AT&T Fiber installed on Thursday, couldn't be happier. Well, that's not true, I'll be even happier when Sonic rolls their own to my neighborhood later this year and I'll be paying even less!

The inverse of Murphy's law hit me the day I had the fiber installed; my Time Machine backup on my NAS failed verification, so I have to kick off a new one.. which means 2TB of data to upload to Backblaze once it finishes. Very glad I moved off my capped Comcast connection exactly that same day. I rarely need more than 1TB, but when you need it, you need it!

Sonic support told me they'd waive the early termination fee (didn't realize there was one on resold services, but it makes sense) so it was a no-brainer to get Fiber as soon as I could (been dreaming about this for ages), rather than wait till later this year.

Seems odd that AT&T rolled fiber the week after Sonic announced they'd be bringing it here. I'm guessing some capability needs to exist at the central office just down the street from my house, before anyone can offer gigabit service?
by dane » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 am
rconti wrote:Just got my Sonic-resold AT&T Fiber installed on Thursday, couldn't be happier. Well, that's not true, I'll be even happier when Sonic rolls their own to my neighborhood later this year and I'll be paying even less!
Seems odd that AT&T rolled fiber the week after Sonic announced they'd be bringing it here. I'm guessing some capability needs to exist at the central office just down the street from my house, before anyone can offer gigabit service?
I'd say that's a coincidence - Sonic's own fiber network has no dependence upon theirs in any way. And we look forward to migrating you to that native service as soon as we expand to reach you!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by scot.melville » Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 pm
joeyyung911 wrote:-Local company
-No caps
-Privacy
Literally signed up as soon as I saw this. Can't be beat.
by elee » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:19 am
Where is Gigabit Fiber available in Palo Alto? Would love to know... Sadly, checking for availability only seems to yield 50Mbps FTTN (Fusion?) options in PA.
8 posts Page 1 of 1