Fusion X2 Problems In Forestville

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by waltmorton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:36 pm
In Forestville, I have AT&T copper infrastructure to my house which is 4400 feet from the central office. For the last three years, I have typically gotten speeds over 30mbs via Fusion Broadband X2. Often the Pace 5268 AC modem would sync at 36MBS (17+19). Starting sometime in March, my connection got dramatically worse. Synching at speeds as low as 12MBS as measured by various methods online and on the router summary web interface. Sometimes dropping entirely.

I called Sonic, and after doing some line tests they created a ticket and AT&T sent out a tech who couldn’t find anything wrong. Next, two Sonic field techs came out on March 28, did some line tests revealing dropouts and noise, and they put in a ticket for a “vendor meet.” This time two separate AT&T techs came out, and after some testing decided to replace 600 feet of AT&T cable along Davis road. I watched them do it. This had no effect of solving the problem. I called Sonic and they put in a new ticket at AT&T. On Sunday, April 7, a different AT&T tech showed up, took readings at my house and decided to replace the drop from the street pole, and he put in 140 feet of new cable from the pole to my house. Immediately, I was back to 34 MBS. I thought that was **problem solved** but while the line was back to optimal performance briefly, after about 10 hours speeds dropped back to 19MBS. No matter what I do (reboot the router, etc.) speeds remain degraded. I am not sure if this is a hardware problem at AT&T, or my lines are being capped by software. In theory, I should be getting maximum speeds available (which would be about 30+ MBS) but instead I am getting this reduced sync, throttled connection.

Number of AT&T line technicians at my house so far = 6
Number of Sonic Field techs at my house so far = 3

I give credit to Sonic and AT&T working hard to try to fix the problem, but it looks to me like 9 people have tried to diagnose what the technical issue is and everybody is just trying wild guesses at a fix, despite good intentions. Next, waiting on another AT&T visit…

I am wondering if anybody in the community has any similar problems on Fusion Broadband X2 or any fresh ideas at a solution?

DSL Details
Modem Type: Built in modem - ADSL/VDSL
DSL Line Line1
Down Up
Rate: 11834 kbs 1211 kbs
Max Rate: 13508 kbs 1324 kbs
Noise Margin: 19.6 dB 8.6 dB
Attenuation: 23.5 dB 13.0 dB
Output Power: 19.4 dBm 10.9 dBm

Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Channel: Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country: {46336} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {29125 }
ATM PVC: 0/35

Rate Cap: 11834 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz: 16.1 dB
Required Impulse Noise Protection: 17
Uncanceled Echo: -5.2 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: 0.0 ppm Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
DSL Line Line2
Down Up
Rate: 12305 kbs 1211 kbs
Max Rate: 13508 kbs 1344 kbs
Noise Margin: 16.9 dB 9.6 dB
Attenuation: 23.5 dB 12.0 dB
Output Power: 19.1 dBm 10.8 dBm

Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Channel: Interleaved
DSLAM Vendor Information Country: {46336} Vendor: {IFTN} Specific: {29125 }
ATM PVC: 0/35

Rate Cap: 12305 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz: 15.0 dB
Required Impulse Noise Protection: 17
Uncanceled Echo: -7.9 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: 0.0 ppm Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok

speed.png
speed.png (42.45 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
by waltmorton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Holy crap! I may have solved this myself by taking apart my NID! Internal corrosion in the NID?
by virtualmike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 pm
waltmorton wrote:Holy crap! I may have solved this myself by taking apart my NID! Internal corrosion in the NID?
Yeah, I ran into that periodically when I had Fusion X2. About every six months, I could get a speed bump by simply unwiring and rewiring everything.
by dane » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 pm
waltmorton wrote:Holy crap! I may have solved this myself by taking apart my NID! Internal corrosion in the NID?
Could be! Better sync speeds now?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by waltmorton » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 pm
We had an AT&T visit today and the helpful tech rewired my NID, and directly screwed my CAT6 to the AT&T drop at the NID reducing the number of connections and potential points-of-failure.

Synching at 38-40MBS now (instead of the 10MBS I had three weeks ago.)

Connectivity problem seems to be solved.
(Fingers crossed, knock wood)
What was the real issue?

Probably a combination of factors: places in the older copper wiring that were degraded by weather or squirrels or time so they were improperly insulated. The wired connections inside the NID were not great. Solution: We rewired the house with CAT6 to the NID. Clean connections in the NID. New drop wire to the street pole. All the links in the connectivity chain had to be optimized for it to work correctly. Your DSL connection is only as good as the weakest link, and it can be hard to absolutely know what the weakest link is. One of the AT&T techs said there is an engineering plan afoot by AT&T to replace other sections of copper cable on Davis Road, but no timeframe.

I really appreciate the diligence on the part of Sonic tech staff and AT&T in tracking down the exterior problems and getting a resolution, and it's terrific that Dane is involved and cares about his customers.
by dane » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Yay, glad to hear the trouble has been resolved!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1