DHCP/Connection dropping

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by comrade » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am
Similar to other posts in this forum, I'm having a problem where the 5 minute DHCP lease time is causing frequent disconnects of my Internet connection. For some reason, even though the DHCP logs look normal, a certain fraction of the time (say 1/4 of the time) I get disconnected for 15-20 seconds after the DHCP renewal goes through. The logs always look the same:
09/27/2012 09:58:16.400 Info DHCP Client DHCP Client got ACK from server
09/27/2012 09:58:16.384 Info DHCP Client Sending DHCP REQUEST (Renewing)

But sometimes after the renewal it drops off. This is a big problem because the line in question is dedicated to VOIP traffic. Having a 20 second drop off every 15-20 minutes is very bad for phone calls.

I'd like to switch to a static IP, but that brings up a different issue. We have an additional, static addressed Fusion line for general Internet/VPN. When configured for static IP, both lines ALWAYS seem to be given addresses in the same subnet. Our firewall isn't happy about this, complaining of overlapping subnets on separate interfaces.

I'm talking with support on the phone, but it's not clear if there's a solution to either the DHCP issue or the same subnet static IP addressing issue. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!
by dane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 pm
Have you taken up the blocking of the DHCP renewal with the firewall vendor? They're not handling the renewal correctly, and are instead blocking it, so they should be able to assist in configuring around this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1