Gigabit Fiber South San Fransisco

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
31 posts Page 3 of 4
by hyena » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am
April
First and foremost, we hope that all of you are safe and healthy during these trying times. We know that the current COVID-19 outbreak is challenging for everyone. However, we are here to support our members, community, and employees every step of the way.

In terms of our Fiber build-out? Sonic has an "essential business" classification.

That means that we do not anticipate delays in service, but the environment around COVID-19 changes daily. Please be patient as we take the necessary precautions to ensure a safe and speedy activation of service.

Please reach out to Sonic if you have any questions or concerns.

You are still in the construction phase of this build. Sonic is making big strides in your area. Our contractors are currently placing the backbone of our fiber network throughout the community, and we expect to start lighting up your neighborhood this summer. Thank you for choosing Sonic!
--
Christopher Venghaus
hyena@sonic.net
by hyena » Sat May 09, 2020 11:44 pm
May
As of this month, our construction team is continuing to make progress placing the backbone fiber in your area and 80% of the aerial work (placing fiber on neighborhood telephone poles) has been completed. We expect your neighborhood to begin going live this summer. Thank you for choosing Sonic, the fastest internet in the nation!
--
Christopher Venghaus
hyena@sonic.net
by aerodynamics » Fri May 22, 2020 2:52 pm
I noticed a crew earlier this week working on a telephone pole in my area. Their trucks said NV Communications or something to that extent. Does anyone know if the work they did is related to the Fiber build out?
by hyena » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm
June
The construction phase in your area is going smoothly, we will begin working on your central office in the next few weeks followed by cable placement and splicing, a method used to connect two pieces of fiber together. You will begin to see your neighborhood going live this summer! We thank you for your patience and continued support of Sonic.
--
Christopher Venghaus
hyena@sonic.net
by hyena » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:58 am
July
We have made huge progress in your area, the physical construction has been completed, the Central Office work is done and now moving onto splicing. We expect to start lighting up your neighborhood later this summer. We thank you for your continued patience and we are excited to deliver you the fastest internet in California.
--
Christopher Venghaus
hyena@sonic.net
by hyena » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am
I just got the following email from Sonic late last night:
Subject: Update: Sonic Gigabit Fiber network is active!

Sonic Gigabit Fiber Internet + Home Phone is now available in your area!

Since you've already pre-ordered service (and are a genuinely wonderful human being), we have begun processing your order and will send you email updates periodically.

Here's what happens next:

1. *Scheduling your installation: We have a couple steps we need to complete before we schedule your installation. As soon as we're ready to schedule, we'll contact you. Typically, installations are scheduled within a few weeks from the time we begin processing your order. After successful installation, your home or small business internet and phone service will be up and running.

2. Equipment: A Sonic technician will bring and install your residential gateway (router) during your installation appointment.

Please DO NOT cancel service with your existing provider until your Sonic service is installed and active.

[ ... ]

If you have any questions, or if the information above is incorrect, please contact us at support@sonic.net or 1-844-242-0022.

Thank you for joining the Sonic Internet Revolution!
I'm not sure how much of South City is covered with this update, but if you're looking for more info, now would be a good time to call them.
--
Christopher Venghaus
hyena@sonic.net
by dane » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:34 pm
Yes, our first three sections of South San Francisco went live this week. Drop crews are now working to place fiber to each home that has ordered service in each of those "fiber distribution areas", and you'll see the installation scheduling invitation. Please tell a neighbor, now's the time to order Sonic!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nikkietweety1218 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:26 am
I'm curious to know if Sonic will host their own services in South San Francisco rather having to contract through AT&T. I simply don't trust AT&T Services and I feel that I have no sense of privacy compared to Sonic Services when I lived in San Francisco previously.
by dane » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:20 pm
nikkietweety1218 wrote:I'm curious to know if Sonic will host their own services in South San Francisco rather having to contract through AT&T. I simply don't trust AT&T Services and I feel that I have no sense of privacy compared to Sonic Services when I lived in San Francisco previously.
We cover most of South San Francisco today, virtually all of the premises that are between Hwy 101 and El Camino Real, as far North as Lawndale are reached today. We have not expanded to the East of 101 yet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nikkietweety1218 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:18 pm
dane wrote:
nikkietweety1218 wrote:I'm curious to know if Sonic will host their own services in South San Francisco rather having to contract through AT&T. I simply don't trust AT&T Services and I feel that I have no sense of privacy compared to Sonic Services when I lived in San Francisco previously.
We cover most of South San Francisco today, virtually all of the premises that are between Hwy 101 and El Camino Real, as far North as Lawndale are reached today. We have not expanded to the East of 101 yet.
I appreciate the feedback and am anxiously waiting for sonic services to cover my side. AT&T has a spotty bandwidth and couldn't even compare when I had official Sonic hardware and services, when we lived in San Francisco. I didn't have problems configuring my network or was ever worried about my sense of security, but with AT&T, I'm spending more on VPN services.

BTW, I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but because my services are through an AT&T Backbone, does that mean I have a bandwidth cap?
31 posts Page 3 of 4