Trying to understand speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by mayangrl » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:27 am
I just took a test on cnet and it says my speed is 908kbps. It seems very slow. Why and what are my options?

Laura
by kkeller » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 pm
Make sure you take the Sonic speed test too:

http://speedtest.sonic.net/ookla/

If that's also slow, call support.
by thulsa_doom » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 pm
Troubleshooting a speed problem generally boils down to figuring out where the bottleneck is.

A quick look at your line stats indicates you are connected through to us at 3008kbps downstream with rather nice noise margins, so you may want to try a different speed test (to see if it's choked between Sonic.net and the cnet site specifically) or try an alternate configuration on your LAN (to see if it's choked locally). A traceroute may be instructive.

I'm generally skeptical of the accuracy of web speed tests, but it's pretty rare for one to be off by 2/3rds.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by mayangrl » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:52 pm
Thanks all.

I took the sonic speed test just now and got download: 2.56 mbps, and upload: .43 mbps. Is this good? Bad?

Laura
by tjj » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:12 pm
For the service that you have with us, that is within the expected speed range. Much better than what you were shown with the CNet speed test!
Tage J.
Sonic.net Customer Support
by mayangrl » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:31 pm
Yeah, no kidding! Thanks!

Laura
6 posts Page 1 of 1