Connection keeps dropping every 5 min

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 pm
I notice that about every 5 minutes tonight my dsl connection drops and I have to restart my browser. Is there a line problem in Napa Country tonight? I'm a brand new customer and never once had to deal with this with comcast. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...
by virtualmike » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 pm
The lease for your dynamic IP address expires after 5 minutes and must be renewed. Normally, that's invisible to users, but certain routers or directly connected computers may need to be configured to work with this.

Search the forum for "lease" to find discussions about this in the past.
by dane » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 pm
Guest wrote:I notice that about every 5 minutes tonight my dsl connection drops and I have to restart my browser. Is there a line problem in Napa Country tonight? I'm a brand new customer and never once had to deal with this with comcast. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...
You should ring support. But, as Mike notes, if it's exactly every five minutes, that's the DHCP lease time, and generally points toward a misconfigured firewall or firewall software on your side. (It rejects the DHCP lease renewal - pretty silly behavior.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
3 posts Page 1 of 1