Potential New Customer Question about Sonic replacing my AT&T "fake" fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by mikeapbiz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:51 am
I'm in an area, in So Cal, where sonic website says I can get service and I recently had ATT install their "Fake Fiber", where they run fiber to the neighborhood then use their crap POTS line to deliver internet. I get around 60/25. Having once lived in a Verizon/Frontier area, trust me, it's Fake Fiber. Anyway, my questions are

1. Can I receive a static IP with this service if I switch to Sonic?

2. If I switch to Sonic, will my data travel over Sonic and use Sonic equipment. Example, lets say AT&T has a router go down in the central office, or AT&T's backhaul connection goes down from my area of So Cal out to the rest of the world, will my service still be working if I'm using Sonic gear and Sonic's pathway to the major interconnect points?

3. Will the Sonic modem be able to assign my router the WAN IP address in a "bridge mode" similar to how Cable Modems work, or will I be getting a 192.168.x LAN IP on the Sonic gateway as my own router's WAN IP?

Many Thanks.
by dane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 am
mikeapbiz wrote:I'm in an area, in So Cal, where sonic website says I can get service and I recently had ATT install their "Fake Fiber", where they run fiber to the neighborhood then use their crap POTS line to deliver internet. I get around 60/25. Having once lived in a Verizon/Frontier area, trust me, it's Fake Fiber. Anyway, my questions are

1. Can I receive a static IP with this service if I switch to Sonic?
No, Sonic doesn't offer a static IP option with our IP Broadband offering which uses the AT&T network.
2. If I switch to Sonic, will my data travel over Sonic and use Sonic equipment. Example, lets say AT&T has a router go down in the central office, or AT&T's backhaul connection goes down from my area of So Cal out to the rest of the world, will my service still be working if I'm using Sonic gear and Sonic's pathway to the major interconnect points?
No, this is a resold IP Broadband connection, where the IP address and interconnection is all on AT&T's managed internet access network. That said, Sonic recognizes that many of our customers would prefer to use Sonic IP addresses, and we provide a VPN service at no additional cost to all members for this purpose. This feature can be used whether you're at an airport of coffee shop, or on the AT&T broadband network.
3. Will the Sonic modem be able to assign my router the WAN IP address in a "bridge mode" similar to how Cable Modems work, or will I be getting a 192.168.x LAN IP on the Sonic gateway as my own router's WAN IP?

Many Thanks.
The AT&T router offers a "DMZ Plus" mode, which allows for the pass-through of everything except CPE management to a dedicated port - you could then deploy your own router via this method. For instructions and details, see: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.ht ... gsi=33x2oc

Sonic's IP Broadband service offers a few advantages over retail AT&T services. One that I see a lot of interest in is unlimited usage. Because we simply buy bulk access at wholesale rates, our members are not subject to any usage caps or additional usage fees. We also add value to the product by bundling an unlimited nationwide and global VoIP telephone service, with an analog telephone adapter. And of course, we've got all the Sonic features like VPN, FaxLine, a free domain name and personal hosting, email boxes, etc. And mostly, people really prefer to work with our local support teams - we've got a wonderful group of people here to assist you.

But the key reason: working with Sonic supports us in our mission to build a better internet access solution for everyone. Today our team has successfully connected over one third of our Members on our owned and operated Sonic gigabit fiber network. By joining Sonic, you support that mission - even if we're connecting you today via leased copper or IP Broadband.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by blumberg » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:10 am
Hi Dane,

I didn't know about the OpenVPN offering, pretty awesome... But since it isn't possible to get a static IP from ATT Fiber sold via Sonic, can you offer a static IP for the VPN session? That would really solve my problem...

Thanks!!
3 posts Page 1 of 1