inconsistent fiber speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
35 posts Page 1 of 4
by rlaurston » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 pm
We just got fiber connected last week.

The technician got over 900 Mbps when he connected his laptop directly to the modem, but every time I run the Sonic speed test with my gigabit-capable MacBook attached directly to the modem with a CAT6 or CAT7 cable I've been seeing around 500 Mbps.

I've been seeing similar speeds with the speed test built into my Eero, with one exception: at noon yesterday it got over 900 Mbps.

This seems very odd.
Eero_speed_tests.png
Eero_speed_tests.png (128.33 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
Robert Lauriston, Berkeley
by joeyyung911 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm
Another Macbook user....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8650
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:40 pm
How are you connecting the MacBook? They don’t have Ethernet ports on board, right?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rlaurston » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 am
The Mac gets about the same speed test results as the Eero, so I don't think the Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt 3 adapter is a bottleneck.
by dane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:24 pm
The eero has a known issue today with their speed testing, their servers cannot deliver Gigabit. We are working with them to resolve that.

Thunderbolt 3 Ethernet should be fine, whereas an older USB dongle is a bottleneck.

Not sure why your system isn’t able to achieve the full rate of speed. No antivirus software running?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rlaurston » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:30 pm
The Eero did get > 900 Mbps on one speed test.
by dane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm
rlaurston wrote:The Eero did get > 900 Mbps on one speed test.
They are working to upgrade their testing servers to support Gigabit speeds. Maybe some already are, or you caught an idle one.

We’re having weekly calls with them on this and other improvements, but I haven’t heard that it’s fully resolved yet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rlaurston » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:51 pm
I get the same >500 Mbps from the Sonic speed test when I connect my Mac directly to the modem, so I don't see how this has anything to do with Eero.
by dane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:24 pm
rlaurston wrote:I get the same >500 Mbps from the Sonic speed test when I connect my Mac directly to the modem, so I don't see how this has anything to do with Eero.
I’d guess they’ve each got their own bottlenecks. For the eero, I know they’ve got limitations in their speed test host platform.

For your device, I don’t know. But Gigabit fiber is Gigabit, it doesn’t go other speeds like copper services might. So any speed which is consistently anything other than a bit over 900Mbps of payload throughput point toward issues either in the local network or client or browser or cabling etc, or with the remote testing server.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rlaurston » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 am
I've been using https://www.sonic.com/speedtest for testing, so if that's not reliable over certain speeds you should probably put a warning on there.

Your own technician used it the other day when troubleshooting some problem with the equipment he installed, and was finally satisfied with the connection once he got > 900 Mbps a few times.
35 posts Page 1 of 4