inconsistent fiber speed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
35 posts Page 4 of 4
by dane » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:01 pm
I don't know what the slowdown with that might be, but I'm pretty confident that it is not the fiber or router. I'm also guessing that an older system that's running Windows 7 just might not be very fast too, and that'll also affect broadband speed test performance.

And just a heads up, folks running Windows 7 systems should consider upgrading soon, per Microsoft they will no longer be providing security updates for it after January of next year:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... -7-support
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Clu42 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm
I don't really like Windows 10, but here's some useful info, for users, who have to upgrade to 10 next year, before Windows 7 support ends. You can still upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 for free. Just make sure you still have your product key code for 7. Windows 8.1 code will automatically be detected in the bios, and make a bootable usb or dvd copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft's website.

Here's the info: https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

P.S. I think part of the Wireless slowdown for some users may be due to the fact that on some routers, when you enable 2.4Ghz along with 5Ghz, it slows down the overall network speed, even on 5Ghz. If you disable the 2.4Ghz radio frequency, and just sick with 5Ghz, you might notice a sizeable boost in speed. Although, 5Ghz often doesn't have the range of 2.4Ghz.
by ankh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:41 pm
some routers
Sonic's rental router?
by ankh » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am
And this morning, with wifi on alongside Ethernet, but Ethernet has priority:
download speed is 415.92 Mbps
upload speed is 356.44 Mbps

And, a bit later,
download speed is 445.22 Mbps
Your upload speed is 360.16 Mbps

Can't complain, seeing as I started telecomming with a 300 baud acoustic coupler and a VT100 terminal.
by ankh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:26 pm
This morning:
download speed is 241.61 Mbps
Your upload speed is 204.81 Mbps

That's still as before with Ethernet primary, and WiFi also connected as secondary.

Someone elsewhere in forums pointed out that Sonic's browser-based speedtest likely puts a big load on the computer system (and I'm now running on a 2010 iMAC) which could explain seemingly low numbers. Makes sense to me.
35 posts Page 4 of 4