Is Sonic.net going to build anymore CO's in San Francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Gilbert » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 pm
I'm currently at 8,425 feet but only getting 4mbps. Will there be new CO's to approve distance to existing customers?
by wa2ibm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:39 pm
I believe that all the CO's that are to be built out in San Francisco have already been done. The only Sonic improvement that you might see is Fiber, if you're in one of the Fiber built out areas.
by dane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm
Gilbert wrote:I'm currently at 8,425 feet but only getting 4mbps. Will there be new CO's to approve distance to existing customers?
There are nine COs in SF, and everyone's wiring goes to one of them. Unless you move, it's not going to get shorter.

That said, this is below-average speed for that distance, so do inquire with support. (Have you tested at your premise test jack to eliminate household wiring as a potential issue?)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Prashant » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 pm
It is cool to know that the CEO of the company is taking time to understand customers' issues and is ready to answer it online. Hats off!!

I am considering Sonic.net based on my recent research and one thing I am looking for is what is the standard speed by distance from CO. I see very few data points on the web and would like to know that before I get into switching my ISP. I live in Fremont and checking it on Sonic site, I am about 6600 feet away from a CO. So what kind of speed should I expect if I switch with Sonic? Any information would be very helpful.

Regards,
Prashant.
by dane » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:26 am
You can find an average speed & distance chart here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart

However, note also the scatter plot in that discussion thread, and it will make clear there is a lot of variability, making it is impossible to estimate speed with any real precision.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
5 posts Page 1 of 1