Why does upgrade from x2 to fx2 require equipment upgrade?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by stugrossman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:33 pm
I currently have ATT 50mb service via Sonic (billed as 'Fusion IP Broadband Residential X2') in SF.

I am upgrading to FX2 since it's about the same price, and twice the speed. The Sonic tech I spoke with told me that this
would involve changing my equipment and a truck roll. I was surprised to hear this, since I already have a fiber drop to my
house and the right equipment to support speeds up to 1gb (ONT/ONU, Pace gigabit router). Also, the new speed (100mb)
is well below the capacity of the router, so I can't figure why new gear would be necessary.

My question is whether the tech was right about needing new gear. As far as I know, the current equipment is adequate, and
this speed upgrade should be nothing more than a config adjustment to a traffic shaper/policer.

Thanks!
by drew.phillips » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:49 am
Given your current setup, new equipment may or may not be required. When we submit the order to AT&T, they will tell us whether a new order is required or if your service can be upgraded in place. If it's in place, they may or may not request a technician install with you present.

I see you've placed the order for the upgrade so we should hear back within 1-3 business days from today. Since you already have the ONT and possibly the best modem available for fiber, the best case will be immediate delivery of new service with no tech visit required; or we will contact you to schedule an appointment after which you will be upgraded.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
2 posts Page 1 of 1