gigabit in petaluma

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
45 posts Page 1 of 5
by bozeke » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 am
Hey there, I was delighted to see the news that there would be an expansion of the fiber network to Petaluma, and was curious to know which parts of town will be covered? Fingers crossed.
by dane » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am
bozeke wrote:Hey there, I was delighted to see the news that there would be an expansion of the fiber network to Petaluma, and was curious to know which parts of town will be covered? Fingers crossed.
I'm working on an article with more details, but the coverage will reach most homes in Western Petaluma. We're building first there where utilities are aerial. Current Sonic members inside the coverage area will get an email tomorrow to let them know!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kheath » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm
Man I was so excited, but its only on the Western side not Eastern. I guess our utilities are underground. Sad days.
by bozeke » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm
That is fantastic, and thanks for responding. We're central, but have overhead power lines, so I'm hopeful! I'll look for the article.
by vschirado » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:42 pm
Looks like pre-orders are available for some of the older Eastside neighborhoods that have overhead lines (the sections closer to the highway). Is that going to be part of this roll out or a secondary, later roll out?
by miller2709 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 am
What about the neighborhoods on the Eastside of the Petaluma around Old Adobe School District locations? Watched Sonic all last summer pulling fiber to Sonoma Mountain Elementary School assumed it would be getting pushed out to the surrounding areas anytime.
by tkfarrell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Live in western Petaluma, but didn't get an email, alas. :-( Here's still hoping...
--- Max, Petaluma
by alanstad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Hi Dane,

Is there any chance that fiber will be expanded to farther to Western Petaluma. I'm on Eastman Ln and would even be happy with FTTN, if possible.
by dane » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:04 am
alanstad wrote:Hi Dane,

Is there any chance that fiber will be expanded to farther to Western Petaluma. I'm on Eastman Ln and would even be happy with FTTN, if possible.
Sorry, we're not there yet - the current build ends near the City's border.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tikvah » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 pm
dane wrote: Sorry, we're not there yet - the current build ends near the City's border.
So...how near?

I'm at the end of a DSL line and had fairly slow speeds the first few years I was with Sonic, so I was pleased but surprised when I was offered FTTN. My speed increased 7 fold! (and now is about half what most people get with cable).

When I was speaking to tech support on another issue recently, the tech told me fiber was coming to Petaluma. Not to me I'm sure, I told him. But he said the fact that I already had FTTN (because I was where I could have it, not necessarily because I purchased it) meant that, when fiber came here, I would be included.

Both ends of my mile-long street are in the city of Petaluma but the middle, including my house, are in unincorporated county.

Is it true that since I have FTTN that, when you bring fiber to Western Petaluma, I'll be able to get it? Any time estimates? Thanks!
45 posts Page 1 of 5