gigabit in petaluma

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
45 posts Page 3 of 5
by uncled1023 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Awesome! Just wanted to make sure. I already signed up for a pre-order, so looking forward to it!
by tkfarrell » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm
dane wrote:
tikvah wrote: No, we are not serving that development (Samuel, Elm, and the offshoots).

And I mistook Berger for Gossage - sorry. The network is primarily within City limits - it extends along Magnolia to the intersection with Berger where Gossage begins, but then ends just two poles North of that, just outside the City limits. This is our first large-scale residential build in Sonoma County, after our small pilot in Sebastopol, and the focus is the Western portion of Petaluma. Any coverage beyond the City limits is incidental, and a result of pole line engineering artifacts.
Hmm, what about between Magnolia and West, west of Keokuk? That description of the network would seem to suggest that it includes that neighborhood.
--- Max, Petaluma
by ubermick » Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm
Heartbroken. Crushed. Awash with grief.

That's how I feel about having to live with Comcast internet for the foreseeable future here in Southgate on the lower east side, knowing there's loads and loads of lovely fiber across Lakeville at the South McDowell business park, and across another street at Casa Grande High School!
by dane » Tue May 14, 2019 4:30 pm
ubermick wrote:Heartbroken. Crushed. Awash with grief.

That's how I feel about having to live with Comcast internet for the foreseeable future here in Southgate on the lower east side, knowing there's loads and loads of lovely fiber across Lakeville at the South McDowell business park, and across another street at Casa Grande High School!
I feel your pain. Sonic fiber is located two blocks from my own home, so I know what that's like. Clearly, our goal is to reach everyone, and we are making progress - over 1/3rd of our members are now on Sonic Gigabit Fiber - but we've also got a lot of work to do.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ubermick » Sun May 19, 2019 2:32 pm
dane wrote:
ubermick wrote:I feel your pain. Sonic fiber is located two blocks from my own home, so I know what that's like. Clearly, our goal is to reach everyone, and we are making progress - over 1/3rd of our members are now on Sonic Gigabit Fiber - but we've also got a lot of work to do.
Yep. As frustrating as it can be for consumers its unrealistic to expect a small company like Sonic (no offense!!!) to have the infrastructure and manpower to put all this into action quickly. And local governments don't exactly bend over backwards around here to help with logistics.
by Matthew L » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am
I live on East D and saw some Sonic vans parked (in front of my house) today.

I have been thinking of switching internet from the dreaded cable company for a bit now and seeing the vans made me think about it again.

two questions:

1 - if i purchase the 'pre-order' fiber package, i do not understand what i actually get if it isn't available yet... am i missing something? If i sign up, will i need to change stuff once it is available or is it a simple 'flick of a switch' on your/there end when available?

2 - does it make sense to purchase my own modem (if that is what i actually would need to purchase?) I have my own cable modem and, over the past 3 years, i am money ahead. Is there a list of modems i can/should look at purchasing vs. renting at $10/month?

thanks!
Matt
by Larns576 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm
@ MatthewL

I recently got fiber installed after waiting ~9mo in preorder. And it was worth the wait!

Assuming your preorder is for Sonic's own fiber network...

1. You can preorder to show interest in the fiber deployment. You also get monthly updates to its development status. But from another thread, you only get updates if your area has already gone through the engineering phase. After fiber is deployed and everything is ready to go, they'll send you an email to schedule the install.

2. No, Do not buy a modem/router. The ONT will be included free with your fiber install. It's the equivalent of a modem.

A wifi router will also be included for $9.50/mo (or Eero router + beacon for $12). You also get a $10/mo discount for the first year, so basically the router is free. If you return the modem within the first year, you'll lose the $10 discount.

I recommend getting the Eero for $12. After the year is up, then it's up to you whether you want to continue to rent or get your own wifi router or wifi mesh kit. If you have no need for wifi or additional wired connections, you can plug your sole PC straight into the ONT.

Another user posted a very detailed explanation of the entire process. His timeframes may not match yours as every deployment is different.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9554
by MatthewL » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm
I guess i am still an idiot then. I am paying $50/month to wait in line? or, am i filling in the payment/billing info saying that when it is available, that is what I will use to pay for it?
Larns576 wrote:@ MatthewL
I recently got fiber installed after waiting ~9mo in preorder. And it was worth the wait!
Assuming your preorder is for Sonic's own fiber network...
1. You can preorder to show interest in the fiber deployment. You also get monthly updates to its development status. But from another thread, you only get updates if your area has already gone through the engineering phase. After fiber is deployed and everything is ready to go, they'll send you an email to schedule the install.
2. No, Do not buy a modem/router. The ONT will be included free with your fiber install. It's the equivalent of a modem.
A wifi router will also be included for $9.50/mo (or Eero router + beacon for $12). You also get a $10/mo discount for the first year, so basically the router is free. If you return the modem within the first year, you'll lose the $10 discount.
I recommend getting the Eero for $12. After the year is up, then it's up to you whether you want to continue to rent or get your own wifi router or wifi mesh kit. If you have no need for wifi or additional wired connections, you can plug your sole PC straight into the ONT.
Another user posted a very detailed explanation of the entire process. His timeframes may not match yours as every deployment is different.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9554
by guest » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:28 am
Prior to moving we had Sonic and loved it but we moved outside your service area. I understand that it's expensive to expand service into the surrounding areas and we now live a couple miles outside of town on Middle Two Rock near Bodega. I can only speak for myself but I would be happy with a 'rural rate' that would help cover the expansion costs.
My current (and only option internet provider) is costing me $130+ dollars a month and it keeps going up. Rural service for, I don't know, $99.00 would feel like a bargain. Plus I'd be giving my money to a not-evil company so I'd feel better about that too. Perhaps this would help get fast fiber further out into the county?
by GBS » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 pm
Dane,

You reference "Western Petaluma". I received the pre-install offer and signed up. Looks like a poor choice as I live East of North McDowell on Sutter Street. Was hoping to get an install update, but guess I have my answer. Will be requesting a refund.

Pretty sad considering you just pushed fiber down Maria last year tying the North and South business parks together. My house is two blocks from the run. Guess it's the same story as the fellow who lives a 1000" feet away from the city limits. Just bad luck.

Call me "stuck with ATT".
45 posts Page 3 of 5