can i connect one device directly to a fiber ONT with a CAT5e cable & skip the router

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by ctwitt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 am
sorry if this topic is addressed in another post, searched using a couple of different terms and didn't find a direct answer. a distantly related post contained a statement that the router (eg Pace/Arris) was needed for some kind of ISP authentication, while another contained the question from a Sonic tech, "did you try connecting your computer directly to the ONT?", implying that this was a valid troubleshooting protocol.

i am a current DSL customer considering the conversion to fiber, don't know much about this stuff and my needs are modest. usually i have only one connectable device running at a time and don't need WiFi. so i am thinking if this is feasible i could just leave out the router altogether.
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:19 am
Theoretically, you should be able to do this; however, the router does provide a firewall for security that your connected device may or may not currently have. It also will provide an additional layer of security for your device, even if it already does have a firewall in place.

I don't think it would be worth taking that risk unless you really know what you're doing - in my opinion, this falls under the category of "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it".
by ctwitt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:46 am
hmmmm, thanks kyle, i hadn't thought of that
3 posts Page 1 of 1