SONIC/ATT DSL Service for San Jose??

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm
I cancelled my basic ATT DSl service (not with Sonic) a little over a month ago ($14.95 promo rate was expiring). I tried resigning up for plain vanilla Elite DSL through ATT at their advertised promo rate for new customers (ATT defines 'new' if you've been without internet service for 30 days) but was told DSL was no longer available for my address. ATT said I can only get UVerse-internet or dial-up access now. I don't want Uverse because it costs more than regular DSL for the same Mbps and they want me to shell out another $100 for a new Uverse modem/wireless gateway with no offers of a rebate to help defray the costs of new equipment. I see some people on this board received a letter offering free Uverse equipment with a forced upgrade to Uverse in San Jose. I never received such an offer even though I was with ATT. I've already invested $100 in a DSL modem/gateway, so I'm looking for alternative options to get traditional DSL. Can Sonic provide the ATT DSL service I'm seeking?

I checked my ATT landline phone number on the Sonic website, and it said I can't get Fusion. They can only order ATT DSL service for my address. That's fine with me, because that's what I'm seeking. If I can get plain vanilla ATT DSL through Sonic, can I use the dsl modem/router I was using while with ATT? Or do I have to buy a new modem/router to work with Sonic?
by wa2ibm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:21 pm
You can get Sonic's resold AT&T DSL. However, the new process at Sonic is that you need to rent their modem for $6.50 per month. This new modem offers better diagnostics so Sonic can provide you with better support.
by Guest » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:33 am
I tried going through the online order process for Sonic's ATT DSL, it asks to choose between renting a modem for the monthly fee or opting for "no modem"/no fee. If the current policy is to rent a modem, why does the ordering process give me the option to say 'no' modem needed? The info I'm seeing on this board regarding whether rental of a modem is required or not and what I see during the actual online ordering process conflict with one another. If a $6+ monthly rental fee is required by Sonic, after 12 months that approaches the cost of ATT's Uverse modem /wireless gateway (which I get to keep) or Comcast Xfinity's modem (also get to keep). I'd like to try Sonic, but the rental cost (if it is required) may be a deal breaker for me. Why can't a customer buy the Sonic modem outright?
by ken » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:28 pm
Guest wrote:I tried going through the online order process for Sonic's ATT DSL, it asks to choose between renting a modem for the monthly fee or opting for "no modem"/no fee. If the current policy is to rent a modem, why does the ordering process give me the option to say 'no' modem needed? The info I'm seeing on this board regarding whether rental of a modem is required or not and what I see during the actual online ordering process conflict with one another. If a $6+ monthly rental fee is required by Sonic, after 12 months that approaches the cost of ATT's Uverse modem /wireless gateway (which I get to keep) or Comcast Xfinity's modem (also get to keep). I'd like to try Sonic, but the rental cost (if it is required) may be a deal breaker for me. Why can't a customer buy the Sonic modem outright?
I just called Sonic.net. I need to rent the modem, can not opt out this. Well I am staying with ATT then. I hope the policy will change and it is a deal breaker for me 2.
by Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:10 pm
With this $6.50 rental fee, if one stays with Sonic for 1, 2, 3 years.... and onward. You'd be paying $78, $156, $234 after 3 years for a dsl modem This policy doesn't encourage new Sonic customers to stay on beyond 1 year. I guess it'll be ATT for me, too.
by bobrk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:29 pm
What are the caps on AT&T service?
by dane » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:11 pm
bobrk wrote:What are the caps on AT&T service?
150GB for the DSL service, and 250 for U-verse customers. On the equipment topic, U-verse customers are charged a $6.00/mo equipment fee.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by wifi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:57 am
The U-verse equipment cost looks a bit weird. There are 3 U-verse products, TV, Internet and Voice.

U-verse Internet only - purchase modem $100
U-verse Internet + voice - purchase modem $100

U-verse TV only - no equipment charge
U-verse voice only - no equipment charge

U-verse Internet + TV - monthly rental $6
U-verse Internet + TV + voice - monthly rental $6
by Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:26 am
For new ATT Uverse customers there are bundles that give substantial rebates that pay for the cost of new equipment + free installation + price guarantee. I'm only interested in the internet service, and unfortunately, there are no deals for a free modem/wireless gateway like they offer for their standard DSL service (if you live at an address where they're still willing to give you DSL).
9 posts Page 1 of 1