Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
161 posts Page 6 of 17
by rconti » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:05 am
TallonRain wrote:I also have a preorder for the Redwood City area and I would like to know if Sonic has cancelled or only delayed the fiber rollout here? I haven't received communications regarding the status of this and Sonic's preorder page appears to have been taken down. Does this mean that Sonic is just quietly giving up on their gigabit fiber expansions in the Bay Area, including Redwood City?
I'm in Friendly Acres in RWC, and the last update I got was March. Fingers crossed it's still "on".

February:
In this phase, our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber. This process can take anywhere between 9-12 Months. Because of this, we're going to lessen the amount of communication you receive until you get dropped into "construction phase" where updates occur more regularly from month-to-month.

March:
Sonic's team is reviewing all the necessary requirements needed to begin engineering in your neighborhood. After this, our teams map out the exact placement of fiber in your neighborhood. This is an exciting (but often lengthy) phase. Because of this, we will cut back on communications and will reach out when we move into the next stage of your fiber build. We appreciate your patience.
by ranous » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:57 pm
I received the following a couple days ago. I'm in the Mt Carmel area. Hopefully this indicates real progress, though I'm skeptical about getting service this year based on past encouraging emails going nowhere.
You are now in the "Engineering Phase" of your Sonic Fiber build. During this phase, our Geographical Information Systems team (GIS) and Plant Teams are working closely together to outline the scope of work and customize the fiber network path through your area. At this stage, we work with subcontractors to assess the telephone poles in your area and submit applications to attach our fiber cables, and these cables will eventually connect to your home.

Our team also meets with city representatives to uncover any special needs or city requirements for your area. During this stage, you may not see us around town, but we're prepping to bring you better internet!
by bayfiber » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pm
ranous wrote:I received the following a couple days ago. I'm in the Mt Carmel area. Hopefully this indicates real progress, though I'm skeptical about getting service this year based on past encouraging emails going nowhere.
You are now in the "Engineering Phase" of your Sonic Fiber build. During this phase, our Geographical Information Systems team (GIS) and Plant Teams are working closely together to outline the scope of work and customize the fiber network path through your area. At this stage, we work with subcontractors to assess the telephone poles in your area and submit applications to attach our fiber cables, and these cables will eventually connect to your home.

Our team also meets with city representatives to uncover any special needs or city requirements for your area. During this stage, you may not see us around town, but we're prepping to bring you better internet!
I got the same message on the 12th. It's the first one since they announced a delay back in February that seemed to be a huge step back so hopefully this means a buildout is actually certain.
by ranous » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm
Ok, another update in less than a month. Maybe this will happen in my lifetime after all.
Sonic is currently working with the city to obtain permits so we can move you into the Construction phase of your fiber build. We expect this process to go smoothly to which you will begin seeing our crew this Fall! We appreciate your patience and thank you for choosing Sonic, the fastest internet provider in California.
by jht51 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:04 pm
I also received the February and March emails about the step backwards in Redwood City, but then nothing after that. So it seems like at least some parts of Redwood City are still in limbo. (I'm in the Roosevelt neighborhood near Alameda,)
bayfiber wrote: I got the same message on the 12th. It's the first one since they announced a delay back in February that seemed to be a huge step back so hopefully this means a buildout is actually certain.
Bayfiber, what part of Redwood City are you in?
by bayfiber » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:53 am
jht51 wrote:I also received the February and March emails about the step backwards in Redwood City, but then nothing after that. So it seems like at least some parts of Redwood City are still in limbo. (I'm in the Roosevelt neighborhood near Alameda,)
bayfiber wrote: I got the same message on the 12th. It's the first one since they announced a delay back in February that seemed to be a huge step back so hopefully this means a buildout is actually certain.
Bayfiber, what part of Redwood City are you in?
I got the same message as ranous on Friday so I'm also excited. I'm near Roosevelt but close to El Camino.
by ranous » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Received this today. I can't wait to kick comcast to the curb.
Sonic has obtained all the necessary permits required by the city and is working through a few final applications with PG&E. We will be moving your area into the construction phase very soon and expect your area to begin lighting up in winter! We appreciate your patience and continued support of Sonic.
by rocky21743 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:35 pm
Sonic installing fiber on Jefferson and El Camino today.
by ranous » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:15 pm
Ok, just got another update from Sonic. Somewhat disappointing, as I was hoping to get it before the year is out. When they say next spring, I'm thinking summer is more realistic seeing how their schedule keeps slipping.
Your area had a slight adjustment in timing and is expected to enter into the construction phase late this year. If timing stays on track, we expect to be lighting up your neighborhood next Spring! We thank you for your patience and continued support of Sonic, the Fastest internet provider in CA!
by bayfiber » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:55 am
ranous wrote:Ok, just got another update from Sonic. Somewhat disappointing, as I was hoping to get it before the year is out. When they say next spring, I'm thinking summer is more realistic seeing how their schedule keeps slipping.
Your area had a slight adjustment in timing and is expected to enter into the construction phase late this year. If timing stays on track, we expect to be lighting up your neighborhood next Spring! We thank you for your patience and continued support of Sonic, the Fastest internet provider in CA!
Got the same update you did. I'm also getting tired of seeing this slip, and I still think I should not have received a physical card in the mail inviting me to pre-order until the Spring when my neighborhood starts getting lit up. Making potential customers like me sit in a pre-order queue since July 2019 is simply unacceptable. I really hope they aren't doing this to other cities in CA. I wouldn't wish this kind of wait on anybody.
161 posts Page 6 of 17