Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 1 of 16
by HowIsBabbyFormed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:17 pm
I just preordered fiber for my address in Redwood City.
There is currently no ETA or information available to me.
Is there any way to get more information about the rollout?
I'm really curious to hear everything I can!
by dane » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 pm
No, at this point there are too many variables for us to pin down a time-frame.

We used to have a consistent pipeline and process in a single city, San Francisco, where there were few variables, and we could pretty well estimate and achieve time-frames. But today we are building in parallel in many cities and many projects, with each having its own engineering, planning and permitting and construction variables, so the this leaves too much variability for us to make useful estimates.

Our team will be sending out monthly updates, on progress on all projects, activation highlights, usage and equipment tips, etc, so keep an eye on your inbox for updates!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rconti » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 pm
Very exciting, was able to preorder in Friendly Acres (RWC) and just saw the ATT trucks stringing the fiber last week. I still know it may well take some time, but it's fantastic to see signs of progress after a decade+ of hoping I'd some day get FTTH. As a former ISP sysadmin, I'm beyond thrilled to be able to support a local ISP again.
by dane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:28 pm
rconti wrote:Very exciting, was able to preorder in Friendly Acres (RWC) and just saw the ATT trucks stringing the fiber last week. I still know it may well take some time, but it's fantastic to see signs of progress after a decade+ of hoping I'd some day get FTTH. As a former ISP sysadmin, I'm beyond thrilled to be able to support a local ISP again.
Sonic's own fiber will also be going up - while we do resell AT&T's IP service, what you've pre-ordered there is Sonic fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rconti » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am
dane wrote: Sonic's own fiber will also be going up - while we do resell AT&T's IP service, what you've pre-ordered there is Sonic fiber.
Amazing, so happy to hear it! I haven't been around the Sonic forums so I'm not all that familiar with the difference, I just assumed this was how you were able to announce rollouts in so many places. But the more I look into it, it looks like the direct Sonic offering is cheaper and has fewer restrictions. Thank again!
by apimente1 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:03 pm
I also pre-ordered last month without having any clue of what timeframe to expect service.

Are you able to give ballpark estimate?

1-6 months?
6 - 12 months?
1-2 years?
1-5 years?
by Larns576 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 am
Seems Sonic doesnt want to give out any estimates after missing so many of them during the Berkeley rollout. But based on my observations of past rollouts, if you're in the preorder stage, it can take anywhere from 6-24mo.
by apimente1 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 pm
Thanks for the reply Larns576. I am not currently under any service contract w/ my ISP and I can save a good amount of money if I get back onto one. It would be nice if I had some kind of idea when to expect Sonic fiber even if it were a rough estimate so that I can make some decisions based on that knowledge.
by Larns576 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am
I think you'll be ok with a 1 yr contract if you just preordered. The door flyer I received from Sonic last year also offered to pay my ETF. But am unsure if you can combine that with any other offers. Even if fiber arrives 9 months later, 3/4 of the ETF will be waived and you'll only owe a small amount for the remaining 3 months of contract.
by San Carlos user » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm
Has anyone been receiving monthly updates? I singed up for a pre-order back in May and have not received any email updates.
160 posts Page 1 of 16