Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 10 of 16
by hansons3hyde » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:01 am
This recent update is great news! A little over a year ago, I switched from Comcast to Wave, as Wave was offering no-contract 1gbps down / 30mbps up at a low price locked in for 2 years. Originally I thought I might be on that plan for a few months until Sonic was deployed... Haha here we are!

That being said, some of the construction updates from a while back were not exactly positive. Even if the timeline keeps getting pushed out, it's great to see that work is done in the central office, and now they just need permits to hang the fiber. I can't wait!
by rconti » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:27 pm
hansons3hyde wrote: That being said, some of the construction updates from a while back were not exactly positive. Even if the timeline keeps getting pushed out, it's great to see that work is done in the central office, and now they just need permits to hang the fiber. I can't wait!
I’m guessing that’s somewhere mid or north RWC. I’m down by Marsh Rd, no updates in a year or more. I’m just south of the Spring St ATT facility, so likely that’s my CO and probably not the CO for the bulk of RWC

Thankfully I’m on resold ATT fiber so I’m not dying here :)
by hansons3hyde » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 pm
rconti wrote:
hansons3hyde wrote:I’m guessing that’s somewhere mid or north RWC. I’m down by Marsh Rd, no updates in a year or more. I’m just south of the Spring St ATT facility, so likely that’s my CO and probably not the CO for the bulk of RWC
Yeah. We're pretty close to the San Carlos border, about two blocks. We always see the Sonic trucks when we're walking around in San Carlos. Will update the thread once it makes its way to me!
by cebeling » Sun May 02, 2021 3:19 pm
We've been using Sonic for a while, and last year, we were told that fiber was going up in our Redwood City neighborhood "soon". Updates said it was being delayed until this year. We didn't switch services figuring it would come soon. I called this week and was told "there was nothing planned" for our neighborhood, and that we shouldn't have been told otherwise.
So I'm not sure you should believe anything until the fiber actually shows up at your door. For now I'm using the RWC library internet for data-intensive work, and weighing my options. Not easy during the pandemic. The upload speed is 100x faster than at home so it's worth the hassle.
by ranous » Mon May 10, 2021 5:05 pm
Ok, just got this from Sonic today:
The Sonic Team is expecting to receive aerial permits to access the poles in your community this week! We are still on schedule to begin lighting up your area with Sonic Fiber by the end of summer.
It just so happens that today is the two year anniversary of when I originally pre-ordered the service. Here's hoping that by the third anniversary I will actually have the service.
by bjeung » Mon May 10, 2021 5:52 pm
Congrats. It's been over 2 years here and over a year with out a status update. I think I need to call into CS and get a refund on my interest-free loan.
by jdban101 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:37 pm
It'd definitely be nice if we could get a status update of some kind :)
by mgoldburg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:16 am
Just received notification that our neighborhood -- Lakeview towards Edgewood -- is in the Engineering Phase. Progress!
--------------------
Construction Update

You are now in the "Engineering Phase" of your Sonic Fiber build. During this phase, our Geographical Information Systems team (GIS) and Plant Teams are working closely together to outline the scope of work and customize the fiber network path through your area. At this stage, we work with subcontractors to assess the telephone poles in your area and submit applications to attach our fiber cables, and these cables will eventually connect to your home.

Our team also meets with city representatives to uncover any special needs or city requirements for your area. During this stage, you may not see us around town, but we're prepping to bring you better internet!

Now that you are in the Engineering Phase, we will send you a monthly update on progress in your area.
by bayfiber » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:06 pm
Pre-ordered in July 2019, got this today.
Yay! Congratulations, you are now in the Construction Phase of your Fiber build. Here is what to expect:

Friendly Sonic Team members and their trucks moving into your neighborhood. Please wave hello, they love what they do and are happy to bring you Fiber.

Continued monthly communications from Sonic with activation updates and news of your area's construction.

Once your address is turned live, we will schedule your fiber install.

This is our favorite part of building Sonic Fiber. After all of the hard work our team does behind the scenes, you can now visibly see our crew bringing you the fastest internet in the nation! Stay tuned!
by ranous » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 pm
I received the construction phase email today as well.
160 posts Page 10 of 16