Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 4 of 16
by RWCFiber » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 am
apimente1 wrote:Just a minor correction. It looks like we may not get fiber at all as they are now just evaluating viability after several months of advertising that fiber will be coming "soon".
Yes! I got that impression as well! I may end up waiting over 18 months just to be told "sorry, we're stopping at the street before your street! We got your hopes up with a physical card you got in the mail back in July 2019 and it's now January 2021 and you're still not getting it!". This is beyond disappointing.

What is going on at Sonic's marketing team? I just got this email less than 2 hours ago so @apimente1 and I will likely be the first of many to ask why we are being told "your neighborhood is getting fiber soon" to "your neighbor may or may not get fiber at all!"

@Dane, please stop your marketing team from getting people's hopes up. I shouldn't have gotten anything in my physical mailbox until this "9 to 12 month" process was complete at the very least.
by southsko » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm
re "fiber will be in your neighborhood soon"

I guess they will have to call us for new CC#s because they will all be expired by that time.
by masmazar » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:25 pm
I received this email on 2/7/2020:
The Sonic team has been reviewing permits with the city and taking all the necessary steps to make sure the construction phase of getting you Fiber goes smoothly. Sonic is expanding quickly in many neighboring cities, and we're on pace to move into your neighborhood soon. Please expect to see our friendly faces this winter!
Does it mean I will be getting service?
by RWCFiber » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:06 pm
masmazar wrote:Does it mean I will be getting service?
Not sure. It's Winter now and ends March 19. Do you live in RWC?
by nathanso » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 pm
Feb 7th email from Sonic. We live in Emerald Hills.

"In this phase, our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber. This process can take anywhere between 9-12 Months. Because of this, we're going to lessen the amount of communication you receive until you get dropped into "construction phase" where updates occur more regularly from month-to-month.

Please tell your friends, family, and neighbors to sign up too!"

Backwards progress to be sure, and not consistent with their advertising or past messaging. My cynical read on this: "Our junk mail campaign hasn't yet produced enough takers on your street to warrant our company's investment. If we (or better yet, you!) can get your neighbors to join our waiting list in the next year, maybe we'll change our mind."
by amayfield » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:51 am
I'm sorry for the confusion caused by the most recent construction update some folks received on 2/07/2020. The intention of the email was to update you folks that construction has been delayed in your area - it is going to take us longer than we anticipated to complete construction, and we wanted to set expectations accordingly. Thank you for your feedback regarding the messaging of the email, that has been passed along to the team that manages those updates.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by RWCFiber » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:44 pm
amayfield wrote:I'm sorry for the confusion caused by the most recent construction update some folks received on 2/07/2020. The intention of the email was to update you folks that construction has been delayed in your area - it is going to take us longer than we anticipated to complete construction, and we wanted to set expectations accordingly. Thank you for your feedback regarding the messaging of the email, that has been passed along to the team that manages those updates.
Here's some more feedback, amayfield, and this is not directed towards you personally, just whoever wrote that email.

The word "delay" was not used once in this email. Neither were the words "apologize" or "sorry".

If the intention of the email was to update us about the delay in our area, those words should have been used. I am not yet a customer of Sonic, just a guy who put in a pre-order, but I immediately pre-ordered when I got that mail announcement, partially because I heard about Sonic's stellar customer service. This email seemed more like something I would expect from my current ISP whose name starts with an X, whom I want to leave more than anything. I really hope that email is not an indication of what to expect from Sonic.

@Dane, please tell whoever is in charge of these notices that we are still potential customers and that we would like to not only be given notices when service is actually coming "soon" but to be notified in a straightforward manner when delays occur. That email should have said that delays have occurred and that you apologize for not only for the delay, but for creating an expectation that created massive disappointment, and that such an unrealistic expectation will never happen again because your team knows very well that you can avoid it in the future by simply announcing only when a rollout is certain.
by amayfield » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:02 pm
Yeah I agree. When I read this thread I immediately reached out to the team that manages the pre-order email updates to get clarification regarding what we were actually trying to tell you. The response was that we've been delayed in your area. Why that wasn't explicitly included in the email itself I don't know I'm sorry to say. But thank you all again for the feedback, I quoted you and your questions / concerns directly in my correspondence with our marketing team.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by redwoodcityperson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm
In this phase, our team is collecting data for review and analysis to determine if your neighborhood is viable for fiber.

I'd rather have the service, but in a year, if it's decided that our neighborhood is not viable, I assume we'll be refunded for the preorders?

I just did the preorder a few days ago because the mail flyers, and previous posts on this thread implied it was inevitable. This email update sounds much optimistic.
by RWCFiber » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:26 pm
redwoodcityperson wrote:I'd rather have the service, but in a year, if it's decided that our neighborhood is not viable, I assume we'll be refunded for the preorders?
Well, technically, we haven't been billed. I was told over the phone that they needed my payment information to pre-order and get my account in the system, and I get a "not a bill" notice via email every month so show that they have my information ready to be charged when the service goes live. I'm totally fine with this since I'm not being billed, but to go from optimistic about having service this year to being told Sonic isn't even sure my neighborhood is getting service for the next 9 to 12 months was certainly disappointing. I am now on the lookout for other ISP options like wireless or other fiber providers if Sonic is unable to provide me with service.
160 posts Page 4 of 16