Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 5 of 16
by apimente1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:04 pm
RWCFiber wrote:
redwoodcityperson wrote: I am now on the lookout for other ISP options like wireless or other fiber providers if Sonic is unable to provide me with service.
Unfortunately it seems AT&T is the only provider who currently can supply FTTH in Redwood City. I would rather pack it up, unplug, and move into a cave than give AT&T a penny of my money.

As for wireless the best connection you could possibly hope for is 100mbps with the average being at 25mbps. The cost of the plans range from $99 for guaranteed 3mbps all the way to $349 for guaranteed 25mbps.

How are we so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to internet service?
by RWCFiber » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm
apimente1 wrote:
RWCFiber wrote:
redwoodcityperson wrote: I am now on the lookout for other ISP options like wireless or other fiber providers if Sonic is unable to provide me with service.
Unfortunately it seems AT&T is the only provider who currently can supply FTTH in Redwood City. I would rather pack it up, unplug, and move into a cave than give AT&T a penny of my money.

As for wireless the best connection you could possibly hope for is 100mbps with the average being at 25mbps. The cost of the plans range from $99 for guaranteed 3mbps all the way to $349 for guaranteed 25mbps.

How are we so far behind the rest of the world when it comes to internet service?
I know. We're technically in one of the best areas in the world for internet service, but certain monopolies have impeded that...

I'm just going to keep an eye out in case ISP competition finally heats up, but I have to admit, I am crossing my fingers hoping that Sonic ends up saving us from this hell.
by chrisrosner » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am
[quote="RWCFiber"]
Well, technically, we haven't been billed.

I was billed: SONIC.NET Bills & utilities $49.50
by RWCFiber » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:53 am
chrisrosner wrote:
RWCFiber wrote: Well, technically, we haven't been billed.

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen anything on my statement and every email about that pre-order has been clearly marked as "not a bill".
by apimente1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:26 pm
RWCFiber wrote:
chrisrosner wrote:
RWCFiber wrote: Well, technically, we haven't been billed.

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen anything on my statement and every email about that pre-order has been clearly marked as "not a bill".
I recall that when I originally went to pre-order online there was a small deposit. I don't recall if it was $49.50. However, I had to call them for some reason and the CSR informed me that if I placed the pre-order on the phone that they would waive the deposit. My monthly "bills" have been for $0.00.
by RWCFiber » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 pm
apimente1 wrote:I recall that when I originally went to pre-order online there was a small deposit. I don't recall if it was $49.50. However, I had to call them for some reason and the CSR informed me that if I placed the pre-order on the phone that they would waive the deposit. My monthly "bills" have been for $0.00.
When I called, the CSR told me they would just need to get my payment info to create the account (I have a username and password for my account page) and put me into the pre-order waitlist and that I wouldn't be billed until service actually gets connected. I also get those monthtly "this is not a bill" emails that do not charge me which I'm fine with, but still keep reminding me of the service I was hoping to get this year.
by breznik » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:37 am
There was definitely a 49.50 charge placed on my credit card when I preordered last year. However, I got a VM a week or so back saying my preorder was being cancelled due to pole accessibility. The charge didn't automatically come off but a quick call to custom service and seems that should be resolved. Sad that it took ~9mo to find out I can't get fiber but at least customer service was quick.
by RWCFiber » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:41 pm
breznik wrote:There was definitely a 49.50 charge placed on my credit card when I preordered last year. However, I got a VM a week or so back saying my preorder was being cancelled due to pole accessibility. The charge didn't automatically come off but a quick call to custom service and seems that should be resolved. Sad that it took ~9mo to find out I can't get fiber but at least customer service was quick.
Did you call or do it online? Calling them resulted in them waiving the deposit, according to the CSR I spoke to.
by DavidStewart » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:39 am
Speaking about several different areas connected to the rolling, It is necessary to pay attention to the mentioned task.
by TallonRain » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:35 pm
I also have a preorder for the Redwood City area and I would like to know if Sonic has cancelled or only delayed the fiber rollout here? I haven't received communications regarding the status of this and Sonic's preorder page appears to have been taken down. Does this mean that Sonic is just quietly giving up on their gigabit fiber expansions in the Bay Area, including Redwood City?
160 posts Page 5 of 16