Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 2 of 16
by ewhac » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:09 pm
San Carlos user wrote:Has anyone been receiving monthly updates? I singed up for a pre-order back in May and have not received any email updates.
The folk wisdom is that you don't see monthly updates unless/until your neighborhood enters the "engineering" phase of fiber rollout (i.e. they actually start physically hanging fiber on poles).

I'd like to think that, if progress were being delayed by some local sociopolitical issue (such as the ILEC trying to strong-arm an exclusivity agreement with the city, or complaints from NIMBYs, or some space-case claiming that "photosonic radiation" from optical cables was making their chihuahua nauseous), we'd get a note asking to help get things unstuck.

And yes, I too eagerly await fiber service in San Carlos. (Now to work out how/where to site the ONT in the house...)
by apimente1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 am
I was told on this thread that we do not receive the newsletter until we're in engineering.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10442

"Okay so I've heard back from the team that manages correspondence - your area isn't yet in engineering and we don't send out those monthly updates until engineering. Once you are in engineering you will start receiving the monthly updates."

I just received my first newsletter yesterday stating the following.

"The Sonic team is prepping and planning all the network in your area. We're not quite finished with Engineering, but are excited about the progress being made. We'll keep you in the loop on progress in the coming months.

Please tell your friends, family, and neighbors to sign up too!"

I guess that means we've gone from not being in Engineering last month to all of a sudden they are almost done with Engineering as of July 9th, 2019.

I have no idea what comes next and how much longer it will be till fiber becomes available in RWC but at least it looks like there is some type of progress being made.
by RWCFiber » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 pm
I got the same July email that apimente1 got.
by RWCFiber » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 am
Here's the August update for those curious:
The Sonic Team is spending time prepping for your fiber buildout. We have met with the city and are working to build preliminary engineering plans to get you the fastest internet you deserve! We look forward to moving your area into engineering in the coming months as other builds are completing.
by bjeung » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 pm
Same update email I got in San Mateo
by RWCFiber » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm
Sept Update:

The Sonic Team is working with the city and prepping tests in you area. As long as everything goes smoothly, we'll move your area into our Engineering phase soon. Please hang tight as we work to get you the fastest internet in the nation!
by RWCFiber » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:17 pm
Oct. Update

This month, the Sonic Team is making progress on city agreements, with plans to sign very soon. We expect to begin Engineering this winter!
by apimente1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:44 pm
Nov. Update

Sonic is still making forward progress in your area and is hitting all projected milestones with the city. Although this process takes time, we promise it's worth the wait for you to get the fast, friendly internet you deserve. We will let you know once your area enters into the next Engineering phase.
by RWCFiber » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:55 pm
Nobody said there was a "next engineering phase". I wonder how many "phases" there are? That last update was a bit vague compared to the previous updates. .
by apimente1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 pm
I've asked before what exactly constitutes "Engineering" without any reply.
Could be a person in a conference room drawing diagrams on a whiteboard. Hell I've done that before and called it "Engineering".
Saying it is going into the next phase of engineering is meaningless without context. What phases are there?
160 posts Page 2 of 16