Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
161 posts Page 16 of 17
by gu » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:11 pm
bayfiber wrote:So I'm finally getting Fiber installed at the end of the month and it seems I have 10 GBps support at my address and they have a whole a new pricing structure for 10GBps when you check your availability at Sonic.com:

Basic: $30 for 10GBps fiber without email/vpn and phone-based support, (SMS and email support only)
Standard: $40 for 10GBps fiber WITH email/vpn and phone support,
Fusion: $50 for 10GBps fiber WITH email/vpn and phone support AND home phone.

I don't need yet another ISP email address or phone support so the basic tier will do just fine when I finally get service.

Anybody else in this area lucky to get 10GBps?
I'm in Santa Rosa and not yet in the 10 gbps space, but I know it's coming within the next few months. Here are my thoughts about the three service tiers:

- I have 15 email addresses & 2 domains with Sonic - a couple of which go back to the late '90s - so having email is essential for me.

- VPN is crucial because I often connect to open WiFi networks as part of my job.

- I like having phone support. It's not essential, but I would prefer not to text when I have an issue which needs attention, especially when a detailed explanation is required.

- I'm vacillating on the phone service. While it's useful because my wife & I are able to give a common number to accounts we share (bank, mortgage provider, dentist, vet, et al), and we have a cool, easy-to-remember number, it might make more financial sense to either park the number and forward it (number barn dot com offers this for $2 per month) or port it out to our mobile provider as an additional talk-only line. Honestly, I'd really hate to lose the number, so anything I can do to keep it is kind of worth the additional expense. ;)

We will obviously cross that bridge after it's been built, but right now, I'm leaning toward Standard followed by Fusion. Not sure Basic is an option at this point (if ever).
by bayfiber » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am
My wait since July 2019 is over! The crew is here, lines are being dropped and I'll have fiber fully installed this week. Now I can finally stop posting here and wondering how other people are progressing. I'm near El Camino and Woodside Rd. It seems all the new installs since July of 2022 are 10 GB so we're lucky to be among the first to get 10 GBs by default. Happy Halloween!
by nematsakis » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:33 pm
It's been two years since Sonic started advertising fiber in my neighborhood and I still get ads on Facebook all the time, but I'm still sitting in "Pre-Construction" mode, with no estimated time or acknowledgement. Anyone else seeing signs of progress in RWC?
by mgoldburg » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:18 pm
I've heard nothing from Sonic for more than a year. My fiber status shows as Planning Phase.

I've seen some trucks around Lakeview and Summit (Emerald Hills) in the past few months. I spoke to one of the techs who said they were planning to light parts of Lakeview "soon." No ETA on my street which is off Lakeview, though.
by mojorising » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:45 am
I've also been in the planning stage for a while. I'm in the Redwood Oaks area near Cypress/Oakwood. All surrounding streets seem to have Sonic being installed or available. Is there anyone at Redwood City hall I can contact to help speed along the planning process?

ATT was going to put in fiber 5+ years ago and a neighbor complained about the spot of the box that needed to be installed so ATT changed their plans (without getting any other neighbors input) and our area still has no fiber options available today.

I know it's a "first world" problem but I'd like to experience breaking the 1G barrier in my lifetime. Seems weird to not have it in the center of Silicon Valley.
by terite » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:06 pm
Is fiber still rolling out in Redwood City? I'm in the north east part of Redwood Oaks. I preordered Aug 17, 2021 (celebrated the 2 year anniversary recently), but the construction update has been getting pushed back one month per month since December 2022. I'd love a real update, or even to know that progress is being made.
by devoncaius » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:58 am
Any update-stuck in "Pre-Construction" for over a year. Last I spoke to Sonic rep, said it would be Feb 23 for next stage.
I'm between Brewster & James, Southgate/Inner Circle.
Anyone have any updated news? I saw a few truck 3 house's away on Brewster.
Thanks if anyone can update any news -thank you
by richardliang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:41 pm
Honestly don't expect their fiber to be completed anytime soon. I've been on pre-order (I'm in the east bay) and construction phase for about a year now and they continue to delay and push back their "estimated live date" every month. They don't provide any useful estimates nor are they able to give you any status updates. It's incredibly frustrating.
by mojorising » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:49 am
@dane seems to be the magical phrase needed to get any update so trying it here.

I know things take time but your company has been teasing fiber in my area since 2019. I understand that COVID caused a big delay, but last year I noticed Sonic trucks in my area just around the corner( on Central Ave) and was hopeful my wait was finally over. Nope.

I think the biggest frustration is putting in my address and your website states that fiber is available and to sign up when it's not truly available and just in the planning stage (for 3+ years). Maybe your company shouldn't say it's available when it's not and you aren't willing to give any type of timeline. This just make potential customers very frustrated. I would recommend not taking pre-orders until the area is in pre-construction at the minimum, not the planning stage.

Any updates for the Redwood Oaks area of Redwood City around the Carlos Ave/W Oakwood Blvd area?? We currently have not other fiber options so you would think our area could get some priority since I would assume most of the households here would jump at the chance to sign up.

I'm eagerly awaiting so I can send out referrals to all my neighbors.......
by terite » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:54 pm
Sonic just completed my fiber install in northeast Redwood Oaks. Communication could've been better, but it seems they are still working on it. I'm guessing my delay was for the reasons posted in this thread (viewtopic.php?t=17764) but I can only guess.

Good luck y'all!
161 posts Page 16 of 17