Rolling out fiber in Redwood City?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
160 posts Page 11 of 16
by hansons3hyde » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm
We got our construction phase email too. Hopefully soon!!
by briancw » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Those are always a great step to have announced. The wait will be worth it.
Brian W
Construction Application Processor
Sonic
by schmuck » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm
TWIMC,

I live in Redwood City and stopped receiving construction updates around January. I finally called today and was told:

".. it looks like your address, along with many other blocks in the area, were intentionally removed from our fiber network for the time-being. This is because a few poles in key locations of the area failed testing when we went to attach our fiber cables to them. Since these poles are the only way (at the moment) we have of expanding our fiber network into the area, it was decided to postpone the expansion of fiber into that area for the time being."

This is really unacceptable. I've been a Sonic customer for 20 years and have been putting up with 6Mb DSL for the past two years on the promise that fiber was "right around the corner."

And then not to be informed that there was an issue back in Jan is the deal breaker.

I would suggest anyone who has stopped getting construction updates to check on with Sonic support directly.

- Peter Schmuckal
by amayfield » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 am
If you're part of the initial build email, and we subsequently find we can't deliver service, we should be informing you - that's part of what we're trying to accomplish with those updates. We're sorry that happened, and I'm reporting this internally so it can be addressed.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by bayfiber » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:37 am
You may notice some aerial and underground work going on in your community. This is our crew hanging cables and laying fiber network throughout the city. We expect your community to begin going live with Sonic Fiber by this fall. Thank you for choosing Sonic.
Finally, after waiting since July 2019 when I got the mailer, the most hopeful message yet. I've definitely been seeing the trucks while driving around this and surrounding cities.
by rocky21743 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 pm
I live in Woodside Plaza area and received this "update"
We know it's been a while since you received an update from us about your Sonic Fiber build so we wanted to check-in. Our team is working behind the scenes in preliminary engineering to determine the best way to bring you Sonic Fiber Internet. This is a collaborative process with your city that takes some time, so we will lessen the communications you will see until we have a notable change or update in your community. We appreciate your continued patience and support of Sonic.
No much detail. They know it's been awhile since any update, yet decided to lessen the communications. Doesn't sound like the Sonic I remember.
by rconti » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:34 pm
Got the same. More than 2 years after preorder.
To add injury to insult, looks like the Comcast pole monkey outside my house this morning managed to mess up my ATT fiber connection. Support says expect “2-3 days” for ATT to bother to help me get back online. Bet it would be faster if I had native sonic fiber :(
by hansons3hyde » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:59 pm
From reading where people are located, and knowing that Sonic is already deployed in San Carlos, I'm guessing that they're just moving south from there. I'm near the creek, and my emails have been pretty positive... so just speculation.
by rconti » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:31 am
Walking home from lunch the other day-- Monday, I think -- I saw a guy in a yellow vest shooting an electronic device at my utility pole at the end of my driveway.

Chatted with him about what he's up to. From what I could gather, he's an AT&T employee, BUT they're being contracted to do surveys for Sonic to figure out where to run the fiber.

Couldn't believe my luck, randomly running into the guy, and that he was right at *my* utility pole!

There's still hope!

I'm right by Marsh Manor (Florence and Marsh).
by nematsakis » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:45 am
In the last month, Sonic has been sending postcards advertising gigabit fiber to my house in the Selby neighborhood (near Woodside and Alameda). I assumed it meant that it was available, but when went to sign-up I found it was a pre-order. Still, I figured it must not be too long if they are advertising and then I found this thread where some pre-ordered years ago.

Is Sonic fiber available to anyone in Redwood City yet? If so, where? If not, has anyone gotten a commitment date for availability?
160 posts Page 11 of 16